Nonpartisan ballot guide to the November 8, 2022 election, Ann Arbor edition – UPDATED, Nov. 1.

Are you registered? Check your registration status here: https://mvic.sos.state.mi.us/Voter/Index If you aren’t registered, the web site has a link to online registration. You can also register in person at several locations, which it lists. If you are registered, it can tell you whether you have already requested an absentee ballot, how to request one online …

Nonpartisan ballot guide to the November 8, 2022 election, Ann Arbor edition – UPDATED, Nov. 1. Read More »

Nonpartisan ballot guide to the November 3, 2020 election, Washtenaw County edition

Updated! With the location of the new A2 Ballot Drop Boxes. The Michigan general election is coming up on November 3, 2020. The following is a little nonpartisan voter guide that I compiled, based on the ballot for Ann Arbor. The purpose of this guide is to give general, nonpartisan information about what will be …

Nonpartisan ballot guide to the November 3, 2020 election, Washtenaw County edition Read More »

New web page

Just testing out the new blog feature! Thanks to LSA, with a special thanks to Erin Norris who did the work on this, my old personal web page has now been transferred to this shiny new WordPress site. Which means I should be able to add to and edit it easily, and not let an …

New web page Read More »

The Joy of Translation

“Last year, when I had the pleasure of translating Cuban writer Abilio Estévez’s first novel Tuyo es el reino (Thine Is the Kingdom) from Spanish into English, it occurred to me that much has been written about the difficulties of translation but little about its joys.1 The 300-plus pages of this luminously written work allowed …

The Joy of Translation Read More »

My Son Gabriel

(Note: this is a blog-like post from the first version of my personal website, originally posted in early 2000… and reposted here for historical purposes!) This is my son Gabriel in a photo taken in Havana in December 1999. (The photo was taken by Gabriel’s mother, the other person in my life —Ruth Behar.)