Welcome!

I am honored to serve as the Howard R. Marsh Distinguished Research Fellow for 2016-19. This departmental award will support my next project studying localism and the interplay of legacy and digital media. For part of this project, I am working closely with personnel from Michigan Public Radio, following their work covering politics across the state.

The Radio Preservation Task Force (RPTF) is an initiative linked to the National Recording Preservation Board of the Library of Congress. I serve as Preservation Director for the RPTF. Our mission is to coordinate the academic community in identifying endangered sound collections and working with librarians, archivists, and others to find homes for these materials. The RPTF held its first conference in late February 2016. The event brought scholars, sound preservationists, and representatives from major institutions from the LOC to the Smithsonian to the National Museum of American History to strategize about preserving U.S. aural culture.

The Global Media Studies Initiative (GMSI) in the Department of Communication Studies at U-M is organizing a summer institute for graduate studies in media and communication studies. We hope to post the call for applicants very soon.