Home

skileI am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Asian Language and Cultures and a postdoctoral fellow at Michigan’s Society of Fellows. My research focuses on the drama, fiction, and prose of the Ming and Qing periods, and I have strong interests in gender theory, cultural history, and visual culture. I am currently finishing a book on the cultural entrepreneurship of the maverick literatus Li Yu (1611-1680), who made a living publishing his own fiction, plays, and essays, designing gardens on commission, and directing a traveling theater troupe in the early decades of the Qing dynasty. My teaching spans the range of traditional Chinese literature and culture. A recent version of my cv is here.

I completed my dissertation, “Toward an Extraordinary Everyday: Li Yu’s Vision, Writing, and Practice,” and received my PhD from the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures at Columbia University in 2013. I received my BA from Beloit College in 2003, after which I spent a year studying in the Chinese department at Peking University on a Fulbright fellowship. In addition to graduate training in the U.S., I have  studied at Fudan University and the IUP program at Tsinghua University, and I have been a visiting scholar at Nanjing University and Peking University. Prior to joining the Michigan faculty in Fall 2014, I was an Assistant Professor at Brown University.