Welcome to this website about my teaching and research! Here you will also find links to useful websites, updates on my current work, as well as pictures that I take.

I am pleased to announce that my latest book, Visual Culture in Contemporary China: Paradigms and Shifts, was released by Cambridge University Press in early 2015.

Cover - Visual Culture

Click image for a full view of “Tourists,” a woodblock print by Fang Limin (2011)

My research in recent years has focused on visual culture and art history, but my training was in literary studies and theory. Primarily a scholar of modern and contemporary Chinese culture and society, I also teach courses in comparative literature.

A major project related to my new book is Multiple Impressions: Contemporary Chinese Woodblock Prints, an exhibition that I curated for the University of Michigan Museum of PDArt in 2011.

You may find the following videos from the exhibition on YouTube:
Multiple Impressions: Contemporary Chinese Woodblock Prints

A recent essay of mine discusses Street Theater and Subject Formation in Wartime China (Cross-Currents: East Asian History and Culture Review, March 2016) PDF version

View a short version of my curriculum vitae.