Home

dene_phoebeI’m a musicologist, gender-sexuality and class theorist, and cultural historian. My work has focused on American and British popular and classical music of the twentieth century to the present, especially Bernstein and the Copland-Thomson circle, 1970s disco, Morrissey, Radiohead, Springsteen, and postwar country including Dolly Parton, Gretchen Wilson, and David Allan Coe. My writings focus on how musical sounds and practices shape and are shaped by shifting practices of gender and sexuality, class, and race. I’m the author of two books—The Queer Composition of America’s Sound (2004) and Rednecks, Queers, and Country Music (2014)—and many essays and articles, and my work has been featured in the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Salon, Slate, VICE, Wondering Sound, Associated Press, Diario ABC, Times Literary Supplement, Pacifica Radio, BBC, WNYC, Michigan Radio, Swedish Radio, and other media outlets.

concert

photo: Phoebe Gloeckner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ak6LZR7fvQ&feature=iv&src_vid=VW6884CRINw&annotation_id=annotation_3543877115

Professor of Women’s Studies and Music
Faculty Associate of the Department of American Culture

Director of the Lesbian-Gay-Queer Research Initiative (LGQRI) in Michigan’s Institute for Research on Women and Gender (IRWG)

Nadine Hubbs on Academia.edu

Audio: Cajun songs performed by Nadine Hubbs with The Pittsfield Ramblers

“La Valse de 99 ans”

“Allons danser”

Video: Circles & Sensibilities Lecture-Concert, November 2013 collaboration with classical musicians on topics of The Queer Composition of America’s Sound.