Home

I joined the University of Michigan in 2003. I have a joint appointment at the department of Near Eastern Studies and the Frankel Center for Judaic Studies.

I studied at the Hebrew University and completed my PhD at UC Berkeley. I was a visiting scholar at Harvard, Ben Gurion and Tel Aviv universities

As a specialist in modern Hebrew and Jewish literature and culture, I am interested in Hebrew literature  written in Palestine/Israel, Europe and America, as well as Jewish literature in Yiddish, English, German and other languages .

I am  the author of the award-winning book Literary Passports: The Making of Modernism Hebrew Fiction in Europe (Stanford, 2011).  

I am the editor of Women’s Hebrew Poetry on American Shores: Poems by Anne Kleiman and Annabelle Farmelant  (Wayne State, 2015), and  the editor of In the Place where Sea and Sky Meet: Israeli Yiddish Stories (Xargol Books, forthcoming 2016), in Hebrew. I am also the co-editor of Hebrew, Gender and Modernity: Critical Responses to Dvora Baron’s Fiction (Maryland, 2007).  I published many articles in scholarly journals, as well as in Ha’aertz, The New Republic, The Jewish Week and other journals and newspapers.

I lecture widely  around the world on all aspects of my research and writing, and part of the the AJS Distinguished Lectureship Program

I am teaching a variety of courses in English and Hebrew for undergraduate and graduate students. I am also teaching a course abroad in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.