Home

Shachar Governors Island compressedI joined the University of Michigan in 2003. I have a joint appointment at the department of Near Eastern Studies and the Frankel Center for Judaic Studies. I studied at the Hebrew University and completed my PhD at UC Berkeley. I was a visiting scholar at Harvard, Ben Gurion and Tel Aviv universities

As a specialist in modern Hebrew and Jewish literature and culture, I am interested in Hebrew literature  written in Palestine/Israel, Europe and America, as well as Jewish literature in Yiddish, English, German and other languages . I am  the author of the award-winning book Literary Passports: The Making of Modernism Hebrew Fiction in Europe (Stanford, 2011), and the editor and co-editor of two volumes dealing with gender and Hebrew literature. I published many articles in scholarly journals, as well as in Ha’aertz, The New Republic, The Jewish Week and other journals and newspapers.

I am teaching a variety of courses in English and Hebrew for undergraduate and graduate students. I am also teaching a course abroad in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.