Home

I joined the University of Michigan in 2003. I have a joint appointment at the department of Near Eastern Studies and the Frankel Center for Judaic Studies.

I studied at the Hebrew University and completed my PhD at UC Berkeley. I was a visiting scholar at Harvard, Ben Gurion and Tel Aviv universities

As a specialist in modern Hebrew and Jewish literature and culture, I am interested in Hebrew literature  written in Palestine/Israel, Europe and America, as well as Jewish literature in Yiddish, English, German and other languages .

I am the author of the award-winning book Literary Passports: The Making of Modernism Hebrew Fiction in Europe (Stanford, 2011), and A Rich Brew: How Cafés Created Modern Jewish Culture (New York University Press, forthcoming, 2018). My third book (in progress) is A Silent Language? Yiddish in Israeli Literature and Culture.

I am the editor of Women’s Hebrew Poetry on American Shores: Poems by Anne Kleiman and Annabelle Farmelant  (Wayne State, 2016), and  the editor of In the Place where Sea and Sky Meet: Israeli Yiddish Stories (Xargol Books, forthcoming 2017), in Hebrew. I am also the co-editor of Hebrew, Gender and Modernity: Critical Responses to Dvora Baron’s Fiction (Maryland, 2007). I published many articles in scholarly journals, as well as in Ha’aertz, The New Republic, The Jewish Week and other journals and newspapers.

I lecture widely  around the world on all aspects of my research and writing, and part of the the AJS Distinguished Lectureship Program.

I teach a variety of courses in English and Hebrew for undergraduate and graduate students. I am also teaching a course abroad in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. I integrate technology and Digital Humanities into many of my courses.  

In 2016-2017, I am the Head Fellow of the Frankel Institute for Advanced Judaic Studies. The topic is ” “Israeli Histories, Societies, and Cultures: Comparative Approaches.”