ALBANA SHEHAJ

Welcome! Bienvenue! Mirësevini!

I am a Ph.D. Candidate in the Department of Political Science at the University of Michigan. My research interests include political parties, political participation, clientelism, corruption,  political economy of development, quantitative methods, institutions and post-communist politics.
My dissertation project examines the determinants of within and across country variation in patterns of electoral tolerance of political graft in developing democracies. With a specific focus on the post-socialist democracies of Eastern Europe and the Balkan region, I engage in a combination of methodological approaches to systematically assess the link between party strategies and voters’ electoral tolerance of non-democratic conduct by parties and elected representatives. Ultimately, I analyse how this dynamic shapes policy formation and overall democratic consolidation in transitioning societies.

Prior to my doctoral education, I acquired a B.A (with high distinction) and an M.A. in Political Science from the University of Michigan.