Chem 125/126: Solar Cell Technology

Instructor: Prof. Stephen Maldonado

Next Offered Winter 2019

• Section 500: Lecture (Tuesday 10:00AM – 11:00AM),
  • Section 510/511: Discussion (Thursday 11:00AM – 12:00PM) and Lab (Thursday 12:00PM – 2:00PM) 
  • Section 520/521: Discussion (Thursday 2:00 – 3:00PM) and Lab (Wednesday 3:00 – 5:00PM) 

Applications for winter semester open November 16th. Selection begins December 4th.

COURSE APPLICATION LINK

Note: Please submit only ONE application form no matter how many courses you are applying to. There is just one application link and you will be prompted to select all courses you wish to apply for and then rank your preferences. If you apply more than once, we will consider your most recent application as the valid one and disregard previous applications.

A new photovoltaic architecture based upon metal halide perovskites has recently attracted attention as a high efficiency, low-cost energy conversion platform that could revolutionize solar cell technologies. Very little is presently known about how these perovskite cells work or how the composition of the metal halide perovskites influences energy conversion properties. Students in this section of Chemistry 125/126 will undertake the synthesis and study of these solar cell platforms. Students will investigate why and how this material produces higher energy conversion. The same types of laboratory techniques used in the standard Chemistry 125/126 curriculum (e.g. preparation and properties of solutions, spectroscopic measurements, light absorption, acid/base chemistry and pH) will be used but specifically in the context of solar cell technology.

Chem125_Fall2015_Syllabus 500 (This syllabus is only to be used as a guide for this course and changes will probably be made to best optimize the course)

Student Testimonials:

“I really enjoy doing the lab experiments because they are great hands-on ways to learn new concepts and skills.”

“I really like how hands-on and relevant the course is because I think that it is easier for me to learn about chemistry when I learn about topics practically in an engaging environment.”

“I feel that overall, what we are learning will likely be for the benefit of humanity in the future.”

“I like that we are doing actual, applicable chemistry experiments instead of the “high school” like experiments. It makes the class a lot more interesting and enjoyable.”