Chemistry 125/126: What is Snow Chemistry?

Instructor: Prof. Kerri Pratt

Interested in Finding Out More? You won’t be left out in the cold!

Section 500: Lecture (Tuesday 10:00AM – 11:00AM), Discussion (Wednesday 2:00PM – 3:00PM) and Lab (Wednesday 3:00PM – 5:00PM)

Next offered in Fall 2019

COURSE APPLICATION LINK

DSC_1850DSC_1801
Chemical reactions occurring on snow surfaces influence the composition of the air, which impacts air quality, weather, and climate change.  Students will measure the chemical composition of Arctic snow to investigate the impacts of rapid Arctic sea ice loss on the Alaskan Arctic snowpack and air. Students will learn general chemistry concepts and skills while conducting a semester-long Arctic snow chemistry research project, learning about scientific literature and measuring snow composition, including using state-or-the-art ion chromatography.

Resources:

CHEM 125 Section 400 Fall 2016 Syllabus (This syllabus is only to be used as a guide for this course and changes will probably be made to best optimize the course)

Student Testimonials

“I like being a part of actual research because it gives labs a purpose.”

“It was clear that my instructors have a passion about their research, and this passion inspired me to work hard in this course!”

“I enjoy learning something unique and having the opportunity to gain real lab experience in class.”