Bio

I am an Associate Professor of media studies and Founding Director of the Global Media Studies Initiative in the Department of Communication Studies at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. I am the author of From Bombay to Bollywood: The Making of a Global Media Industry (NYU Press, 2013), co-editor of Global Bollywood (NYU Press, 2008), Television At Large in South Asia (Routledge, 2013), and co-editor of Global Digital Cultures: Perspectives from South Asia (forthcoming, University of Michigan Press).

My research and teaching focus on digital media and political culture, media industries and production cultures, and media history with a focus on South Asia and the South Asian diaspora. I am an Editor of the journal Media, Culture and Society and I currently co-edit the Critical Cultural Communication series for NYU Press. I have received recognition for my scholarship and writing – I won the ‘Best Essay Award’ from the Society for Cinema and Media Studies (2012, “Reality TV and the making of mobile publics: The case of Indian Idol”), and was named Best Young Scholar by the Popular Communication Association division of the International Communication Association in 2013.