New Lab Members – Bardwell Lab

New Lab Members

Bardwell Lab Contact Information

Telephone Numbers:

Lab: 734-647-6683
Lab Fax: 734-615-4226
Jim’s Office: 734-764-8028
Department Office: 734-763-7142


Biological Sciences Building (BSB)
University of Michigan
1105 N University Ave
Room 5002
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1048

International members must check in with the International Center:

All new members that are Non-US Citizens must check in with the International Center soon after their arrival. The International Center is open Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The office is also closed from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. the first Tuesday of every month. Their website is very helpful in providing information that you will need about housing, taxes and social security, transportation, life in Ann Arbor, driver’s licenses, immigration and visas, and many other questions you might have as an international student. Be sure to bring your passport and any immigration papers that you have with you.

International Center
603 East Madison
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1370
Phone: 734-764-9310

Get a Social Security Card:

One of the first things you will need to do is apply for a social security card.

You can find information on how to get a Social Security card on the International Center’s website at:

Be sure to keep the receipt that they give you when you apply. You can use this to call in to get your number by phone, often a few days after you apply and well before the card is mailed to you. Be sure to ask them about this when you apply in person. All you really need is the number, You will need this often (to get paid, to open a bank account, etc.) The card itself is very rarely used.

Getting a University ID – Mcard:

Here at the University of Michigan we call our University IDs MCards. As a new lab member getting your MCard will be one of the most important things that you will need to do. Your MCard will be needed for many things here at the University. You will need to bring your Passport or Driver’s License with you to the MCard Center to obtain your MCard. You will also have to fill out a MCard application which can be found on their website at:

MCard Center
1000 Student Activities Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316
Phone: 734-93-Mcard (936-2273)

Getting a local bank account:

In order to get paid you will need to set up a local back account. The lab recommends setting up an account with TCF Bank because you will then be able to use your MCard as an ATM card as well, and with will make direct depositing your paychecks easier. You can find information about setting up a TCF MCard Checking account here:

Getting an UMICH.EDU E-Mail address:

Everyone here at the University of Michigan has a e-mail address. This e-mail address will be used for all university and lab correspondence. The application can be found at:

Other information can be found at:

Public Transportation:

In Ann Arbor there are two different bus systems that you will have free access to with your MCard, Ann Arbor Transportation Authority (AATA) and the University of Michigan’s own transportation system. You can find information on their routes at the following websites.
U of M:

Personal Fitness:

The University of Michigan has several fitness and recreational facilities located throughout campus. Information on these facilities can be found at:


Gas & Electric

DTE Energy
414 S Main St # 200
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
(734) 887-2000

Cable Television/Internet

4659 Washtenaw
(888) 266-2278

Post Offices

2075 W. Stadium (662-0223) – Open Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-7 p.m. & Sat. 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
200 E. Liberty (662-2009) – Open Mon.-Fri. 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m.
1214 South University (662-0481) – Open Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. & Sat. 9 a.m.-3 p.m.

For a fire, police, or medical Emergency – Call 911

lsa logoum logoU-M Privacy StatementAccessibility at U-M