Week 7: Adventures in Archaeology Questions

Published Categorized as Camp Explorations

Welcome to Adventures in Archaeology week, camp families! We have an exciting week of activities planned for your camper to explore the world of ancient archaeology. Below you will find a list of questions you can ask your child each day to learn more about our curriculum.

On Monday, campers will get an introduction to archaeology. We will compare paleontology and archaeology, tell stories with symbols, make mummified apples in canopic jars, and talk to a real archaeologist over Zoom.

• What are the differences between paleontology and archaeology?
  • Show me your symbol rock art!
  • What questions did you ask the archaeologist?

On Tuesday, we will explore ancient Egypt. Campers will play Mehen (The Snake Game!), build pyramids, try out ancient trading, make their own papyrus bookmark, and translate hieroglyphic secret messages. 

• Show me your pyramid!
  • Can I see your papyrus bookmark?
  • Can you show me how to draw hieroglyphics?

On Wednesday, we will learn more about archaeology in the Mediterranean. Older campers (purple, red, and pink groups) will head to the Kelsey Museum of Archaeology. Younger campers will make their own Olympic flags, design Greek vases, create paper laurel wreaths, and play in the Camp Explorations Olympic Games.

• What did you learn at the Kelsey Museum (older campers)?
  • Show me your laurel wreath!
  • How did you perform in the Olympic Games?

On Thursday, campers will finish their investigation of archaeology in the Mediterranean. Younger campers (green, orange, and yellow groups) will have the chance to go to the Kelsey Museum of Archaeology. Older campers will explore ancient Greek myths and mythical monsters before creating their own paper laurel wreath and playing in the Camp Explorations Olympic Games.

• What did you learn at the Kelsey Museum (younger campers)?
  • Show me your laurel wreath!

On Friday, campers will explore archeology in the Americas. We will watch the Tales of the Maya Skies movie in the dome theater before playing the Maya Snakes and Ladders Board Game. Then, we will investigate Aztec language, writing, and codices. To close out the week, we will complete dig stations outside.

• What did you uncover in the dig stations?
  • What did you learn about the Aztecs?
  • Did you enjoy the Tales of the Maya Skies show?

Come back to the blog on Friday afternoon to see pictures from the week! Thank you for sending your child to Camp Explorations!