Storytelling and Community-Building through Mellon Public Humanities Fellowships

The U-M Humanities Ph.D. Project recently published an article I wrote about the Mellon Public Humanities Fellowships.

U-M article on Mellon Fellowship

christina-larose-arab-american-national-museum

The University of Michigan Rackham Graduate School wrote a wonderful article on my Mellon Fellowship at the Arab American National Museum: “Gaining Perspective: The Mellon Fellowships at Rackham.”

The Humanities Ph.D. Project

humanities-phd-project-jpg

During the summer of 2016, I had the opportunity to participate in a U-M committee of faculty and doctoral candidates that considered the future of the humanities doctorate. In this group, we discussed reimagining U-M doctoral curricula, training opportunities, and interdisciplinary programming in order to support both a wider range of outcomes for humanities doctorates and a rigorous Ph.D. training, responsive to current and emerging contexts.

At the end of the project, we collaborated to produce a website, The Humanities Ph.D. Project, which supports doctoral students and faculty in the humanities as they imagine, plan for, and pursue multiple career paths as humanists in the world, in the academy, and beyond. Funded by the Andrew S. Mellon Foundation and the Rackham Graduate School, this project broadens the career paths of humanities doctoral students and considers new ways doctoral programs can support these efforts.

Please click here to view the website. I hope you will find it useful!

U-M Community of Scholars Fellowship

I’m so grateful to have received a Community of Scholars fellowship from the University of Michigan’s Institute for Research on Women and Gender.

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 9.54.07 AM

Mizna Publication

mizna-v16issue1I’d like to extend my thanks to Mizna: Poetry, Prose, and Art Exploring Arab America for publishing my poem about Syria–titled “Speak, Silk”–in Volume 16, Issue 1, available to read online here.

Gallery

Mellon Foundation Public Humanities Fellowship

This gallery contains 8 photos.

I was blessed to spend eight weeks (May – July 2015) working as a Mellon Public Humanities Fellow at the Arab American National Museum in Dearborn, Michigan. The Rackham Graduate School at U-M featured my work in this article. Photo by Bruce … Continue reading

Academic article publication

hawwaI’m happy to announce that my academic article, “Counter Fictions and Imaginary Topographies: Auto/Biographical Methodologies and the Construction of Group Knowledge in Evelyn Shakir’s Bint Arab: Arab and Arab American Women in the United States,” appears in Volume 12, Issue 2-3 (2014) of Hawwa: Journal of Women of the Middle East and the Islamic World.

New poetry publication

miznaI’m happy to announce that my poem, “This Body, This Battering,” appears in Volume 15, Issue 1 (2014) of Mizna: A Forum for Arab American Art. 

Evelyn Shakir Book Reading

I’m so excited to be reading, along with poet George Ellenbogen, to celebrate Evelyn Shakir’s final book, Teaching Arabs, Writing Self.

DIWAN – Arab American National Museum

I’m excited to read from my fiction and poetry on Saturday, April 6th at 11 am at the DIWAN: A Forum for the Arts Conference at the Arab American National Museum.

diwan2