The Humanities Ph.D. Project

humanities-phd-project-jpg

During the summer of 2016, I had the opportunity to participate in a U-M committee of faculty and doctoral candidates that considered the future of the humanities doctorate. In this group, we discussed reimagining U-M doctoral curricula, training opportunities, and interdisciplinary programming in order to support both a wider range of outcomes for humanities doctorates and a rigorous Ph.D. training, responsive to current and emerging contexts.

At the end of the project, we collaborated to produce a website, The Humanities Ph.D. Project, which supports doctoral students and faculty in the humanities as they imagine, plan for, and pursue multiple career paths as humanists in the world, in the academy, and beyond. Funded by the Andrew S. Mellon Foundation and the Rackham Graduate School, this project broadens the career paths of humanities doctoral students and considers new ways doctoral programs can support these efforts.

Please click here to view the website. I hope you will find it useful!

U-M Community of Scholars Fellowship

I’m so grateful to have received a Community of Scholars fellowship from the University of Michigan’s Institute for Research on Women and Gender.

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 9.54.07 AM

Mizna Publication

mizna-v16issue1I’d like to extend my thanks to Mizna: Poetry, Prose, and Art Exploring Arab America for publishing my poem about Syria–titled “Speak, Silk”–in Volume 16, Issue 1, available to read online here.

Gallery

Mellon Foundation Public Humanities Fellowship

This gallery contains 8 photos.

I was blessed to spend eight weeks (May – July 2015) working as a Mellon Public Humanities Fellow at the Arab American National Museum in Dearborn, Michigan. The Rackham Graduate School at U-M featured my work in this article. Photo by Bruce … Continue reading

Academic article publication

hawwaI’m happy to announce that my academic article, “Counter Fictions and Imaginary Topographies: Auto/Biographical Methodologies and the Construction of Group Knowledge in Evelyn Shakir’s Bint Arab: Arab and Arab American Women in the United States,” appears in Volume 12, Issue 2-3 (2014) of Hawwa: Journal of Women of the Middle East and the Islamic World.

New poetry publication

miznaI’m happy to announce that my poem, “This Body, This Battering,” appears in Volume 15, Issue 1 (2014) of Mizna: A Forum for Arab American Art. 

Evelyn Shakir Book Reading

I’m so excited to be reading, along with poet George Ellenbogen, to celebrate Evelyn Shakir’s final book, Teaching Arabs, Writing Self.

DIWAN – Arab American National Museum

I’m excited to read from my fiction and poetry on Saturday, April 6th at 11 am at the DIWAN: A Forum for the Arts Conference at the Arab American National Museum.

diwan2

Mizna Journal Release Reading

I’m very excited to be reading on Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 7 p.m. at the Loft Literary Center in Minneapolis to celebrate the publication of the twenty-sixth issue of Mizna: A Forum for Arab American Art, the only literary journal around dedicated to Arab American literature.

I’ll be joined by authors based in the Twin Cities, greater Minnesota, and around the country. Journals will be available for purchase. And, of course, there will be a reception afterward!

Author readings by: Andrea Assaf, Tami Mohamed Brown, Yahya Frederickson, Amir Hussain, Lola Koundakjian, Christina Najla LaRose, Shahé Mankerian, Sahar Mustafah, and more.

For more information, click here.

Mizna

I’m so excited to report that my poem, “Dates, Triggers” will be published in the December 2012 issue of Mizna.