Student Spotlight: Katie Hall

Katie Hall, a member of the From Africa to Patagonia project grant team, will be headed to Eastern Michigan University’s MA program in Communication Sciences & Disorders, starting in fall 2020. Hall worked on many of the team’s phonetic studies, serving as the social-media and communications lead on the From Africa to Patagonia project.

Hall (BA ’19) credits her Collaboratory experience with finding the area in linguistics that she most wants to pursue. “Working…with data in different languages helped me to really appreciate distinct phonetic differences in production and perception that helped lead me to an interest in speech-language pathology,” says Hall. “In my application I talked a lot about my experiences in the Collaboratory and the Speech Production Lab throughout my undergrad and gap year that have prepared me for this program.” Hall’s time with the Collaboratory included “conducting research, working with others toward a common goal, troubleshooting when problems arise, and keeping large amounts of data and files organized.”

Hall is excited to begin her master’s program. Says Hall, “I am forever grateful to the Humanities Collaboratory and the Speech Production Lab for the experiences and support that helped me get here!”