Home

I am a doctoral student in the Department of Political Science at the University of Michigan. I study American politics with a focus on representation. Starting Summer 2017, I will be a data science postdoctoral scholar at the Institute for Policy Research and the Institute on Complex Systems at Northwestern University.

My research considers how people (mis)perceive public opinion in the United States. Using original data from surveys of candidates for office, political party leaders, and the public, I find that all three groups significantly misperceive public opinion on some of the most salient issues of contemporary American politics. I also find a systematic bias in people’s perceptions—most respondents believe that conservative issue positions are more popular than they actually are. I consider how these asymmetrically biased misperceptions affect representation and political behavior. In other work I study candidate entry and recruitment. My methodological interests focus on the challenges associated with using survey and voter file data to research representation and political behavior.

Pacific Standard magazine named me one of their “30 Top Thinkers Under 30.” I received a B.A. in political science and a B.A. in English from The Ohio State University in 2011.

To book an appointment for my office hours, please click here.