yang_formal (1)Dean Yang is a Professor in the Department of Economics and the Ford School of Public Policy at the University of Michigan. His research agenda spans a range of applied microeconomic topics, including international migration, microfinance, health, disasters, trade, religion, and political economy. Methodologically, much of his work involves randomized controlled trials in field settings, while other work involves unearthing and analyzing novel data sources. He is currently running randomized controlled trials on remittances among migrant workers in the UAE, and on HIV/AIDS interventions in Mozambique. His past and current field research locations include El Salvador, Guatemala, Indonesia, Malawi, Mozambique, and the Philippines, as well as migrant populations of Filipinos in Italy, Indians in Qatar, and Salvadorans and Kenyans in the U.S. He teaches courses in development economics at the Ph.D., master, and undergraduate levels. A native of the Philippines, he received his undergraduate and Ph.D. degrees in economics from Harvard University.

Listen to my interview on the AEA Research Highlights Podcast (April 28, 2021) on my paper “Subsidies and the African Green Revolution” (with Michael Carter and Rachid Laajaj) in the American Economic Journal: Applied Economics.

Read the NBER Digest article (August 2021) on my paper “Religious Festivals and Economic Development”¬†(with Eduardo Montero).

Dean Yang’s¬†citations on Google Scholar.