Greetings…

I am happy to announce that my new book, Across the Waves: How the United States and France Shaped the International Age of Radio (University of Illinois Press, 2017) appears this November as part of the UIP’s History of Communication series.

As the Howard R. Marsh Distinguished Research Fellow, I am working presently on the politics and history of localism and the interplay of legacy and digital media. The research also involves U-M communication studies concentrators enrolled in my Comm. 322 research practicum. We hope to enlist insights from this year’s Knight-Wallace journalism fellows as we explore structural changes in the profession in recent years.

The Radio Preservation Task Force (RPTF) is an initiative linked to the National Recording Preservation Board of the Library of Congress. As national Preservation Director I work to further the RPTF’s mission to coordinate the academic community in identifying endangered sound collections and working with librarians, archivists, and others to find homes for materials that may otherwise be lost forever. The RPTF held its first conference in late February 2016. The event brought scholars, sound preservationists, and representatives from major institutions from the LOC to the Smithsonian to the National Museum of American History to strategize about preserving U.S. aural culture.

The Global Media Studies Initiative (GMSI) in the Department of Communication Studies at U-M recently organized its first ever summer institute for graduate studies in media and communication studies. It proved a smashing success with participants from across the United States.