Greetings…

I am happy to announce that my new book, Across the Waves: How the United States and France Shaped the International Age of Radio (University of Illinois Press, 2017) is OUT! For more information, or to purchase this ripping read visit the UIP Web Site.

As the Howard R. Marsh Distinguished Research Fellow, my research group and I are working on the politics and history of localism and the interplay of legacy and digital media. U-M communication studies concentrators enrolled in my Comm. 322 research practicum. We have a focus group planned with Michigan Public Radio journalists covering the Flint water debacle later this fall.

The Radio Preservation Task Force (RPTF) is an initiative linked to the National Recording Preservation Board of the Library of Congress. As national Preservation Director I work to further the RPTF’s mission to coordinate the academic community in identifying endangered sound collections and working with librarians, archivists, and others to find homes for materials that may otherwise be lost forever. The RPTF holds its second conference in early November. The event will bring together scholars, sound preservationists, and representatives from major institutions from the LOC to the Smithsonian to the National Museum of American History to strategize about preserving U.S. aural culture.

The Global Media Studies Initiative (GMSI) in the Department of Communication Studies at U-M recently organized its first ever summer institute for graduate studies in media and communication studies. It proved a smashing success with participants from across the United States.