Jahangir Alam

I am a Research Fellow in the Diba Lab, currently doing research on sleep and memory consolidation. Sleep promotes the formation and stabilization of memories through changes in the synapses and in the oscillatory activities of neuronal circuits whereas sleep deprivation has the opposite effect. I am interested to elucidate how molecular changes in the sleeping and/or sleep deprived brain translate into changes in the behavior of neurons which consolidate memories, as well as developing pharmacological interventions to overcome the detrimental effects of sleep deprivation in human.

Before joining to the Diba Lab, I was a specially appointed assistant professor in the Prof. Kaoru Inokuchi lab and worked on synaptic memory allocation. I have obtained my PhD from the University of Toyama under the supervision of Prof. Kaoru Inokuchi, where I worked on adult neurogenesis and hippocampal memory capacity.  I have obtained B.Sc. and M.Sc. from the University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.

I am greatly interested in reading, cooking, watching and playing football, swimming, and driving.

Publications
Adult neurogenesis conserves hippocampal learning capacity. J Neurosci.
Evaluation of the insecticidal activity of three plant extracts against adult Tribolium castaneum (Herbst). Biologia.
Insecticidal Effect of Oyster Mushroom (Pleurotus Ostreatus) against Tribolium Castaneum (Herbst). Npaij.

Email: mdalam[at]umich.edu