Kamran Diba

I am the principal investigator of the Neural Circuits and Memory Lab at the University of Michigan.

I first become interested in neuroscience while completing my doctoral studies in high energy physics at Brown University, after taking a course in computational neuroscience focused on biophysical modeling of single neurons.

Subsequently I pursued a postdoc in the lab of Christof Koch, using NEURON to compartmentally model noise arising from stochastic ion channels and synapses. The predications were compared to measurements obtained from whole-cell current and voltage-clamp in cultured neurons and pyramidal cells from neocortical slices.

Increasingly, I became interested in how neurons function in the intact brain, embedded in dynamic circuits.   In the lab of Gyorgy Buzsaki, I learned to perform large-scale neuronal recordings from the cortex of freely behaving rats, and applied this to the study of sequential activity patterns in the hippocampus.

Now at U-Michigan, we are  investigating how neural activity in the brain encodes and stores memories using precise temporal relationships at multiple timescales, and how the underlying neural circuits generate these firing patterns.

e-mail: kdiba[at]umich.edu