Utku Kaya

I am a post-doctoral researcher at Diba Lab, since February 2019. I am involved in the project investigating the effects of sleep deprivation on memory consolidation. Specifically, my studies aim to understand possible changes in oscillatory and spike patterns that underlie the problems in memory formation and consolidation. Currently, I am focused on the electrophysiological records from rat hippocampus during memory formation under varying conditions of the sleep deprivation.

After undergraduate education in computer engineering, I pursued my graduate training in cognitive science. After getting Master’s degree in cognitive science, I started to have interest in neural mechanisms underlying sub-second audiovisual temporal interactions for my Ph.D. work (PI: Dr. Hulusi Kafaligonul). In this project, I have been investigating the neural correlates of audiovisual interactions in time and how these interactions at early stages of sensory processing contribute to the final perception of visual timing and motion. During my Ph.D., I got also involved in other projects. For instance, I was a research assistant for a project (PI: Dr. Annette Hohenberger) on the various phonological aspects of language acquisition such as vowel harmony, word stress and word segmentation in Turkish infants (6-10 months old). In another project (PI: Dr. Hulusi Kafaligonul), we aimed to understand the functional links between motion perception and fundamental synaptic changes during neural aging.

LinkedInResearchgate | Twitter | Facebook

e-mail: ukaya[at]umich.edu