Amy Tara Koch

Journalist and Author

Why did you choose to become an English Major?

I love words. I love sentence structure. I love stories. I never considered another major. I wanted to read and learn the meaning of Pope, Chaucer, Faulkner. I also wanted to become a strong writer. I did not know that I would become a professional writer at that time but I knew that writing would be a part of my future.

Tell us about your career.

My career has had several chapters. Following graduate school, I became a writer for Ford Motor

I am a travel and lifestyle writer contributing to outlets like The New York Times, The Telegraph, The Washington Post, WSJ, Vogue, Condé Nast Traveler, Travel + Leisure, Bon Appétit and Ski Magazine. But, I’ve had many zigs and zags leading up to what I am doing now. I began my career working working in fashion first at Paper Magazine, then Buzz Magazine and then Mademoiselle Magazine before joining BCBG Max Azria as Director of Marketing and PR. By the age of twenty-eight, I began consulting for iconic brands like Bobbi Brown Cosmetics, Van Cleef & Arpels, American Eagle Outfitters, Allure Magazine and Columbia Records . After marrying and moving to Chicago in 2000, I began writing for the Chicago Tribune where I eventually landed a column and a position as on-air style reporter for NBC/WMAQ. I did this for ten years. In 2010, my maternity fashion book book Bump It Up: Transform Your Pregnancy Into The Ultimate Style Statement (Random House) was touted by Glamour, T Magazine and Access Hollywood as the must-read pregnancy style bible. In 2011, I began focusing on travel writing and, after a decade of persistence, am at the top of my game.

How has a literary education contributed to success in your career and/or other aspects of your life?

All of the reading and essay writing gave me the ability to think critically and write persuasively. So many times in my career, I have run into rejection. Instead of hearing “no,” I hear a voice telling me to retool my pitch and try again. I am always inspired by other writers. I have a notebook filled with interesting turns go phrase, syntax, etc. Majoring in English taught me how to stay curious which, in my opinion, is the key to a successful career.

Do you have any advice for incoming English majors?

Read. Read. Read. Become a great writer which means learning the nuances of grammar and punctuation. Pick topics to write about that make you exit your comfort zone. Language is power. Speak and write masterfully and you are ten steps ahead of the game. Oh, and don’t fall for Instagram syntax and other social media snafus like run-on sentences, lack of punctuation, etc.