Other Teaching Experiences

I was a graduate student instructor for Decision Processes, Introduction to Cognitive Psychology, and Introduction to Psychology.

Students’ Anonymous Feedback

Decision Processes

“Haoyang was an excellent GSI. She was consistently prepared for discussion and provided supplementary materials such as review sheets and clear discussion slides which held elucidate the material. Overall I found Haoyang to be very approachable, fair and knowledgeable. She always made time to meet students outside of class and was very open to student questions. She is very enthusiastic about the material and has offered to provide extra counsel to students interested in further studies in decision making and judgment, which to me is very nice to see. Overall, I would take another course with Haoyang as my GSI.”

“This class was a good addition to the lecture. Haoyang did well in further explaining some of the confusing material covered in lecture. She also took our feedback very seriously, and modeled the class to better suit our needs. I also liked that she gave us extra resources on decision making to look into, in case we wanted to pursue a certain topic more deeply.”

“I had Haoyang last year and was so excited to have her again this year. She is a wonderful teacher because she seems to know how to best explain concepts to students and seems to know exactly when she needs to fill in material that students might have missed without making them feel stupid about it. She very clearly explains concepts and answers questions. She genuinely wants all her students to do well and helps us in any way she can. She is also just a wonderful person to be around and I enjoyed being in her class. As for the class itself, I think it was very effective at taking everything we had learned that week, clarifying the information, and ensuring that the students understood it. It was like we received the material in lecture and locked it in in discussion. Oh, and the student presentations about the article were very useful as well.”

Introduction to Cognitive Psychology

“Haoyang is the best GSI! She really cares about her students and hopes that they understand. She went out of her way to make class warm and open. She provide useful resources and was very clear with her explanations. She really reached out to her students and wanted the best for them.”

“Haoyang is extremely sweet and really cares about our performance. She teaches the material clearly and will go out of her way to answer questions that we ask. One of my favorite GSIs.”

“One of the most structured, organized sections I’ve ever taken here at U of M.”

“One of the most helpful discussion sections I have ever attended. The quizzes were helpful in checking our understanding of the material, especially because we went over the answers right away. The Jeopardy reviews before exams were also very helpful as they allowed us to discuss all the relevant topics in class and then we could review the material on our own at home because Jeopardy was posted online.”

“Haoyang prepared well for each discussion section as she came with review sheets for everyone so that we are able to test whether we knew the important concepts for the module. She also comes prepared with a powerpoint slide that has essential summaries of what was covered over the past week so that we can clarify any doubts that we had, and at the same time, know where to concentrate our efforts on as she highlights the important points and as there is a lot of material.”

“Although quizzes took up a lot of time, Haoyang tried her best to make the most of all the time in the class. She gave out worksheets that summarized lecture material very well, and she incorporated the quiz answers into a general presentation of lecture and reading material. She made sure the class atmosphere was relaxed, but focused.”

“Haoyang was also an excellent GSI. She kept the discussion section fun and interesting which made it easy to focus and learn the material. She was also very clear.”

“I think it was taught well. My GSI was incredible knowledgeable and efficient and is the reason I’m doing so well.”

“This is my favorite teacher of the semester. I really hope to continue to read her research and keep in contact with her in the future.”

Introduction to Psychology

“Haoyang is very sweet and easy to approach, especially when I had questions about psych essays. She explained concepts very clearly and was very patient with all the questions we kept asking her.”

“She is very effective as she can explain questions very clearly and thoroughly. She makes sure that we understand her explanations and she has a lot of patience.”

“Very helpful in office hours and fair with grading standards”