Home

Welcome! I am a PhD candidate in the Department of Sociology at the University of Michigan. My research interests include sociology of education, social inequality, gender & sexuality, childhood, and qualitative methods. I also have additional interests and experience teaching courses on the sociology of deviance, sexualities, and criminology.

I am currently working on my dissertation which utilizes data from ethnographic observations in three preschools and interviews with 39 preschool directors and teachers. My dissertation examines how inequalities are produced and reproduced through disciplinary practices and interactions in preschool classrooms. You can learn more about my dissertation research here.

I have published on how heteronormativity is constructed in preschool classrooms (Sociology of Education), and on qualitative methods with young children (Sociological Studies of Children and Youth).  I also received the 2017 David Lee Stevenson Outstanding Graduate Student Paper Award from the Sociology of Education section of the American Sociological Association for a paper from my dissertation entitled, “Reproducing (and Disrupting) Heteronormativity: Gendered Sexual Socialization in Preschool Classrooms” (Sociology of Education).

I received my Master’s in Sociology, and my Bachelor’s in Sociology and Criminology from the University of Northern Iowa. I was born and raised in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.