University of Michigan
Project Title: Enhanced ground-Rydberg coherence times in a state-insensitive optical lattice
Advisor: Dr. Alex Kuzmich
- Exploring possible applications for trapped ensembles of ultracold Rydberg atoms in the field of quantum information.
- Generated computational/mathematical model for atomic motion and dephasing of Rb87 atoms in optical lattice potentials
- Maintained locking circuitry for frequency stabilized laser systems
Physics 510 Final Project (Phase Transitions) : Rydberg excitation avalanche and blockade mechanisms
Physics 542 Final Project : Many-body Rabi oscillations in Rydberg atomic ensembles
Western Washington University
Plasmonics / Photonics
Project title: Plasmonic Enhancement of Organic Photovoltaics
Advisor: Dr. Janelle Leger
- Developed guided wave plasmon polariton mode (GW-PPM) waveguides for use as an electrical back contact to conjugated polymer photovoltaic cells with the goal of enhanced conversion efficiency.
- Fabricated thin film samples using RF and DC sputter deposition and polymer spin casting techniques.
- Performed sample characterization using a combination of X-Ray Reflectivity, Atomic Force Microscopy, and Spectroscopic Ellipsometry.
- Used attenuated total reflectance (ATR) to excite and detect plasmonic modes within thin film waveguides.
Talk Slides: APS March Meeting 2017
Project title: Photometric & Polarimetric Variability of Outbursting Young Stars
Advisor: Dr. Kevin Covey
- Utilized MIMIR data reduction pipeline to process near infrared observations and constructed a computational model of variation in young stars’ NIR polarimetry and optical photometry.
- Implemented Markov chain Monte Carlo fitting algorithm to be used in conjunction with Hyperion, a three dimensional dust continuum radiative transfer code.
- Generated and fit synthetic spectral energy distribution (SEDs) to photometric and polarimetric observations in order to tighten constraints on geometric parameters involved with young stellar object (YSO) formation.
Project Title: Constraining Mineralogy of Subsurface Martian Soil
Advisor: Dr. Melissa Rice
- Compiled spectral library of ferric sulfates and candidate minerals for use with Multiple Endmember Spectral Mixture Analysis (MESMA) algorithm to model Mars Exploration Rover Pancam spectra.
- Developed routines in IDL which allowed for convenient visualization of convolved spectra.