Proactive Team Practices for Effective Faculty-GSI Collaboration
If your large course includes graduate student instructors (GSIs), then it is important that you have a proactive approach with your teaching team to promote inclusive teaching. This resource guide, adapted from the CRLT, is an inventory of 30 concrete strategies for building an inclusive class with a GSI. The inventor focuses on five components:
- Invest in team development through regular contact and communication
- Clarify expectations and responsibilities for all team members
- Manage tasks, processes, and deadlines so that all GSIs can effectively contribute
- Advise and mentor GSIs on teaching topics and related professional development
- Check in regularly with all GSIs about their experience with teaching and team dynamics
Instructors can use the list to consider what strategies they may already be taking toward collaborating with their GSIs, what strategies they may like to implement, what strategies they would like to investigate further, and what strategies may not work for their classroom.
- To provide instructors with concrete strategies for building collaboration with their GSIs.
- To help instructors reflect on their collaboration with GSIs.