Welcome

Photo Credit: Elizabeth Shim

Photo Credit: Elizabeth Shim

I am Assistant Professor of Sociology, and the Korea Foundation Assistant Professor of Korean Studies at the University of Michigan. I am a political sociologist and law and society scholar interested in race/ethnicity/nationalism and international migration, citizenship, and globalization. Please see my research/publication pages for specific information about my scholarship.

Before joining the University of Michigan, I received my PhD degree from UCLA, was a postdoctoral fellow at Princeton and Stanford, and taught at George Mason University for a year. I was a member of the Institute for Advanced Study (School of Social Science) during the 2016–2017 academic year.

Featured Work

Contested Embrace: Transborder Membership Politics in Twentieth Century Korea (Stanford University Press, 2016)

2017 Thomas and Znaniecki Distinguished Book Award from the International Migration Section of American Sociological Association

2017 Book Award on Asia/Transnational from the Asia/Asian American Section of American Sociological Association

Please see the publication page for more information.