Welcome

Photo Credit: Elizabeth Shim
Photo Credit: Elizabeth Shim

I am Assistant Professor of Sociology, and the Korea Foundation Assistant Professor of Korean Studies at the University of Michigan. I am a political sociologist and law and society scholar interested in race/ethnicity/nationalism and international migration, citizenship, and globalization. Please see my research/publication pages for specific information about my scholarship.

Before joining the University of Michigan, I received my PhD degree from UCLA, was a postdoctoral fellow at Princeton and Stanford, and taught at George Mason University for a year. I was a member of the Institute for Advanced Study (School of Social Science) during the 2016–2017 academic year.

Featured Work

Contested Embrace: Transborder Membership Politics in Twentieth Century Korea (Stanford University Press, 2016)

• 2017 Thomas and Znaniecki Distinguished Book Award from the International Migration Section of American Sociological Association
  • 2017 Book Award on Asia/Transnational from the Asia/Asian American Section of American Sociological Association
  • 2017 Allan Sharlin Memorial Award from the Social Science History Association
  • 2018 James B. Palais Book Prize from the Association for Asian Studies (Honorable Mention)

Please see the publication page for more information.