Welcome

I am an Assistant Professor at the University of Michigan Law School and a Postdoctoral Scholar at the Michigan Society of Fellows. Additionally, I have a non-residential research affiliation with Leiden University's Institute for Philosophy.

The questions that drive my research range across law, history, and political theory. I am especially interested in using historical and theoretical methods to study administrative law, legal procedure, statutory interpretation, and torts.

My current project is a book-length study of secrecy and transparency. In this work, I cast a critical eye on contemporary ideals of openness, and argue that secrecy is systematically undervalued in democratic law and politics. I also grapple with the problem of unwarranted secrecy — of which there remains much, in and out of government — and develop a novel account of how concealment and disclosure, though apparent opposites, are necessary complements in a democratic polity.

Prior to joining the University of Michigan, I was a Climenko Fellow and Lecturer on Law at Harvard Law School. My professional experience includes the part-time practice of immigration law (pro bono), and service as a judicial intern to The Honorable Patti B. Saris of the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts.

A graduate of Oberlin College (BA 2007) and Harvard Law School (JD cum laude 2013), I completed doctoral studies in political theory in Harvard’s Government Department (PhD 2017), where I was a recipient of the Robert Noxon Toppan Prize for “best dissertation upon a subject of political science.”