Welcome to my website!

I am a graduate student in Sociology at the University of Michigan – Ann Arbor. I am also a student affiliate of the Lieberthal-Rogel Center for Chinese Studies, and the Center of Inequality Dynamics at U-M.

Growing up in Shanghai, China, I got my B.A. and M.A. in Sociology from Fudan University. I came to the U.S. in 2018 and received an M.A in Regional Studies – East Asia from Harvard. My research interests lie in the intersection of inequality, social stratification, political sociology, and economic sociology, with a regional focus on the contemporary US and China.

I have conducted research on the patterns of educational inequality in China and investigated how the Chinese government responds to distributive demands from homogenous communities. During my graduate study in Ann Arbor, I plan to examine how class consciousness arises through the life course, and how class dynamics contribute to the reproduction of inequality under authoritarianism. 

I have been a proud supporter of Real Madrid for over ten years. Besides La Liga and European Championship League, discussion about anime or console gaming is also welcome. You can find my CV above, and my LinkedIn profile here. I will also be reachable at junchaot@umich.edu.