Historical Violence

Racially-Motivated Violence and Political Implications:
A Study of Birmingham, Alabama

This study examines the relationship between racially-motivated violence and political participation at the city level, asking if violence that is intended to politically oppressive can instead be a politically activating force. Within a historical case study of Birmingham, Alabama (1947-1962), I use a unique compilation of archival documents, newspapers, and interview transcripts to explore the impact of racially-motivated bombings on political participation. This study begins to explicate intra-community responses to racially-motivated violence, and I lay out an argument for further analysis of the political consequences of bias-motivated violence more broadly. My findings suggest that such violence has the potential to drive minority groups to political activity, rather than repress it, in the process striving for greater political legitimacy.

How the South was Cleansed
(with Christian Davenport)  

Outside of the Great Migration, hundreds of counties in the American South saw decreases in black population, and at times the complete disappearance of black communities in the span of several years. In this project, we examine the role of racial violence, specifically lynchings, as well as other political and economic factors, on such occurrences of black out-migration. We look not only at disappearances of black communities, but also the lasting effects of racial violence in areas where black populations do not return.

Contact

Kiela Crabtree
crabtka@umich.edu
5775 Haven Hall

505 South State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

Follow me on Twitter