Join Log(M)

We will have new teams each semester, and we hope to accommodate both new and repeat members. If you are a grad student or a faculty member who would like to serve as a mentor or advisor, please email us and we would be happy to work with you to build a team.

Undergraduate Researchers:  Fall 2018 applications are closed.

Expectations for undergraduate researchers.

FAQ:

1. When do applications open? Generally, as early as the week before classes, and no later than the first day of classes.
  2. What are the prerequisites? These vary by project, see the project descriptions for the current semester.
  3. Do I need to already know how to program? Not necessarily, but some projects might require that students have a programming background. If the project description does not list programming as a prerequisite, then it is not required that students already have programming skills.
  4. Wait, so I don’t have to program if I don’t want to? Not quite. You should expect to develop new programming skills as part of the LoG(M) experience.
  5. Do I need to be a math major? Or have spent a minimum amount of time at Michigan? No and no.
  6. Do I have to take LoG(M) for credit? Yes, we expect undergraduate researchers to take LoG(M) for at least 2 credits. Exceptions can be made only for unusual circumstances and will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
  7. Should I apply again if I got rejected? Absolutely. We strive to form balanced teams of students with compatible skill sets. Your background may fit well with project offerings and other applicants in the pool one semester but not another.

Questions still unanswered? Contact logm-info [at] umich [dot] edu.