Join Log(M)

We will have new teams each semester, and we hope to accommodate both new and repeat members. If you are a grad student or a faculty member who would like to serve as a mentor or advisor, please email us and we would be happy to work with you to build a team.

Undergraduate Researchers: 

Winter 2019 applications are closed. Fall 2019 applications will open near the end of the Winter 2019 semester.

Expectations for undergraduate researchers.

FAQ:

1. When do applications open? We are now beginning the application process sometime around open enrollment period.
  2. What are the prerequisites? These vary by project, see the project descriptions for the current semester.
  3. Do I need to already know how to program? Not necessarily, but some projects might require that students have a programming background. If the project description does not list programming as a prerequisite, then it is not required that students already have programming skills.
  4. Wait, so I don’t have to program if I don’t want to? Not quite. You should expect to develop new programming skills as part of the LoG(M) experience.
  5. Do I need to be a math major? Or have spent a minimum amount of time at Michigan? No and no.
  6. Do I have to take LoG(M) for credit? Yes, we expect undergraduate researchers to take LoG(M) for at least 2 credits. Exceptions can be made only for unusual circumstances and will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
  7. Should I apply again if I got rejected? Absolutely. We strive to form balanced teams of students with compatible skill sets. Your background may fit well with project offerings and other applicants in the pool one semester but not another.
  8. What exactly happens during the semester? See the expectations for undergrads form before the FAQ.

Questions still unanswered? Contact logm-info [at] umich [dot] edu.