I am a fellow at the Center for the Study of Democratic Politics at Princeton University. In the 2016-2017 academic year, I was a fellow in the political science department at Washington University in St. Louis. I received my Ph.D. from the University of Virginia. Starting Fall 2018, I will be an assistant professor of political science and public policy (by courtesy) at the University of Michigan. I study American political institutions, policymaking under separate powers, and the executive branch. Please email me if you have questions about my work.

Journal Articles

Kenneth Lowande. Forthcoming. “Politicization and Responsiveness in Executive Agencies,” Journal of Politics. [data]

Kenneth Lowande, Jeffery Jenkins, and Andrew Clarke. 2018. “Presidential Particularism and U.S. Trade Politics,” Political Science Research & Methods, 6 (2): 265-281. [media] [data]

Kenneth Lowande. 2018. “Delegation or Unilateral Action? Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, 34 (1): 54-78.

Andrew Clarke, Jeffery Jenkins, and Kenneth Lowande. 2017. “Tariff Politics and Congressional Elections: Exploring the Cannon Thesis,” Journal of Theoretical Politics, 29 (3): 382-414.

Kenneth Lowande and Justin Peck. 2017. “Congressional Investigations and the Electoral Connection,” Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, 33 (1): 1-27. [data]

Andrew Clarke and Kenneth Lowande. 2016. “Informal Consequences of Budget Institutions in the U.S. Congress,” Legislative Studies Quarterly, 41 (4): 965-996.

Kenneth Lowande. 2014. “After the Orders: Presidential Memoranda and Unilateral Action,” Presidential Studies Quarterly, 44 (4): 724-741. [media] [data]

Editor Reviewed

Kenneth Lowande and Thomas Gray. 2017. “Public Perception of the Presidential Toolkit,” Symposium on Experiments and the Study of the Presidency, Presidential Studies Quarterly,  47 (3): 432-447.

Kenneth Lowande and Sidney M. Milkis. 2014. “‘We Can’tWait’: Barack Obama, Partisan Polarization and the Administrative Presidency,” The Forum,  12 (1): 3-27.

Working Papers

Kenneth Lowande. “Who Polices the Administrative State?

Michael Fogarty, Kenneth Lowande, Michael Lukauskas, and August Mense. “Bureaucratic Discretion and the Implementation of DACA”

Kenneth Lowande, Melinda Ritchie, and Erinn Lauterbach. “Descriptive and Substantive Representation in Congress: Evidence from 100,000 Constituent Requests”

Andrew Clarke and Kenneth Lowande.“The Vote-Buying President”