Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Who may declare an LSA Music Major or Music Minor?

You must be an LSA student to declare an LSA Music Major. Any undergraduate student (except students enrolled in the School of Music, Theatre & Dance) may declare an LSA Music Minor. You must have already declared your major before you are allowed to declare a minor.

Q: How do I declare an LSA Music Major or Music Minor?

To declare a major or minor, please make an appointment with Tom Erickson (LSA Music Advisor) by contacting the Newnan Advising Center (734-764-0332) in Angell Hall. You may also contact the Tom directly at tericks@umich.edu OR lsamusicadvisor@umich.edu.

Q: I am graduating this semester. How do I obtain a degree audit (degree release) for my LSA Music Major or LSA Music Minor?

To obtain a release for your LSA Music Major or Minor, please make an appointment with the Tom Erickson by contacting the Newnan Advising Center (734-764-0332) in Angell Hall or by contacting him directly at tericks@umich.edu OR lsamusicadvisor@umich.edu.

Q: What are the requirements for an LSA Music Major?

The requirements for the LSA Music Major can be found HERE.

Q: What are the requirements for an LSA Music Minor?

Q: May I take music courses before declaring an LSA Music Major or Music Minor?

Yes. You may take music courses before declaring a Major or Minor. Any approved music courses you take before declaring can be applied to degree requirements once you declare.

Q: Am I required to take an introductory survey course before enrolling in other music courses for the Major or Minor?

It is highly recommended to take one of the introductory survey courses before taking an upper-level course at the 300- or 400-level. If you have substantial experience in music history or theory, admission to upper level courses may be granted by an instructor.

Q: What courses are appropriate for a student beginning the Music Major or Music Minor?

Most students start with an introductory survey (MUSICOL 121, 122, 123, 130, 345, 346 or THEORY 137) or the gateway courses in other departments (COMP 221, PAT 201, or a music performance course).

Q: May I take private music lessons through the University?

You may apply for private music lessons by filling out an Application for Studio Instruction You must apply for private lessons at the end of the semester before you wish to begin lessons (e.g. Apply in late Winter for lessons starting in the Fall). Placement in private instruction is not guaranteed and lessons may not be available for some instruments.

Q: How do I join a campus ensemble (band, orchestra, choir, and so on)?

You may audition for a wide array of ensembles (including bands, orchestras and choirs) through the School of Music, Theatre & Dance. For more information on ensembles, see: http://www.music.umich.edu/current_students/perf_opps/

Q: I have participated regularly in an official campus music ensemble (band, orchestra, glee club,…). How many performance credits will apply to the Music Minor? What other requirements do I have to fulfill to finish a Music Minor?

You may apply the credits from every official campus music ensemble course you take towards the total of 15 music credits required for the Music Minor. However, you cannot obtain the Music Minor simply by taking performance courses. In addition to any performance-related credits, you will need to complete an Introductory Musicology or Theory course, as well as at least one separate non-music-performance elective in Musicology, Theory, Performing Arts Technology, or Composition. For more details, please see the official requirements for the Music Minor.

Q: How do I obtain permission to register into a course currently “closed” on Wolverine Access?

If there is a waitlist available on Wolverine Access, please add yourself to it. For all other courses, contact the instructor directly to obtain further information.

Q: How do I obtain permission to register into courses marked with a prerequisite as “S M STU ONLY”?

Enrollment for courses marked as “S M STU ONLY” is typically limited to students from the School of Music, Theatre & Dance. You may contact the instructor to obtain further information, but it is not guaranteed that students from outside the SMTD will be able to enroll.

Q: May I take a course pass/fail and still apply it to the Major or Minor?

No, you may not apply courses taken pass/fail to the requirements for the LSA Music Major/Minor.

Q: Do RCHUMS music courses count toward the Music Minor requirements?

With approval of the LSA Music Advisor, some RCHUMS music-specific courses (in composition, performance, theory, and musicology) may be counted toward requirements for the music minor. Please contact the LSA Music Advisor for more information. For students who declared the minor prior to February 1, 2018, all RCHUMS music ensemble courses (RCHUMS 250, 252, 256, 258) may also be used to satisfy the 300-level elective requirement. After February 1, 2018, only courses at the 300-level or above may be use to satisfy the 300-level elective requirement. Keep in mind that a limit of two non-SMTD courses may be applied to the requirements for the Music Minor.

Q: Do RCHUMS music courses count toward the Music Major requirements?

With approval of the LSA Music Advisor, some RCHUMS music-specific courses (in composition, performance, theory, and musicology) may be counted toward requirements for the music major. Please contact the LSA Music Advisor for more information. Keep in mind that a limit of three non-SMTD courses may be applied to the requirements for the Music Major.

Q: Do music courses from other departments (beyond RCHUMS) count toward the Music Minor or Music Major requirements?

With approval of the LSA Music Advisor, courses listed as electives on the Music Minor and Music Major requirements pages may count as elective credit. In some cases, the content of those courses may also fulfill requirements in Performance, Theory, or Musicology. You must gain approval from an LSA Music Advisor to count any other outside music courses toward the Music Minor or Music Major. Only courses entirely focused on music will be eligible for consideration. Keep in mind that a limit of two non-SMTD courses may be applied to the requirements for the Music Minor and that a limit of three non-SMTD courses may be applied to the requirements for the Music Major.

Q: May I take courses over spring/summer to fulfill requirements for the Music Minor or Music Major?

Very few courses are offered by the SMTD during the spring/summer. Occasionally, other U-Mich departments (such as RCHUMS) offer music courses during the summer. You may also consider taking a music course at another college or university and transferring it towards your degree at the University of Michigan.

Q: May I apply credits from a course taken at another college or university toward the Music Major or Music Minor? How many music credits may I transfer?

Upon approval of the LSA Music Advisor, up to six credits earned outside of the University of Michigan or its sponsored programs may be used to fulfill requirements for the minor. Upon approval of the department advisor, up to 12 credits from outside of the University of Michigan may be accepted to fulfill requirements for the major.  A minimum of 18 credits must be taken at the University of Michigan.

Before taking any courses outside the University of Michigan, first check the LSA transfer equivalency page. If the course in question is not listed on the website, please contact the Newnan Advising Center (734-764-0332) to make an appointment with a general LSA advisor to determine whether the course will transfer.

Once you have ascertained whether the course will transfer to the University of Michigan, contact an LSA Music Advisor (lsamusicadvisor@umich.edu OR tericks@umich.edu) to find out whether the transferred course will fulfill any degree requirements. A copy of the syllabus for a transferred course is required to determine whether or not the course will fulfill any specific degree requirements. However, without a syllabus, music courses transferred from other institutions can be applied toward the LSA Music Major or LSA Music Minor as elective credit ONLY.

Q: May I apply credits from a study abroad program to the Music Major or Music Minor? How many music credits may I transfer?

With the approval the LSA Music Advisor, credit obtained through study abroad programs can be applied to the LSA Music Major or Music Minor. Once you have ascertained whether the study abroad course will transfer to the University of Michigan, contact an LSA Music Advisor (lsamusicadvisor@umich.edu OR tericks@umich.edu) to find out whether the study abroad credit will fulfill any degree requirements. A copy of the syllabus for a study abroad course  is required to determine whether or not the course will fulfill any degree requirements.

Upon approval of the LSA Music advisor, up to six credits earned outside of the University of Michigan or its sponsored programs may be used to fulfill requirements for the Music Minor. Upon approval of the department advisor, up to 12 credits from outside of the University of Michigan may be accepted to fulfill requirements for the major. Study abroad courses through UM  or its sponsored programs are considered in residence.

Q: I am interested in pursuing a dual-degree program involving both LSA and the School of Music, Theatre & Dance. How do I obtain further information?

Please contact the Newnan Advising Center (734-764-0332) to make an appointment with Patrick Hill (an LSA Advisor who handles dual-degree programs with the SMTD). You may also contact the SMTD Admissions Office (734-764-0593; smtd.admissions@umich.edu) or visit their office in 2290 Moore for more information.

Q: Who do I contact about transferring to the School of Music, Theatre & Dance?

Please contact the SMTD Admissions Office(734-764-0593; smtd.admissions@umich.edu) for more information. You may also stop by their office in 2290 Moore and speak with a counselor.

Q: How do I obtain help for a question not on this list?

Many questions can be answered through the LSA Major Policies and LSA Minor Policies pages.

For other questions, make an appointment with an LSA Music Advisor by contacting the Newnan Advising Center (734-764-0332) in Angell Hall or contact an LSA Music Advisor by email (lsamusicadvisor@umich.edu OR tericks@umich.edu) and explain your question in detail.