Majoring in music with honors is open to all qualified students. Pursuing honors is particularly recommended for students aspiring to graduate school in academic music topics and to those who have achieved advanced performance skills that they wish to showcase in a recital.
Students wishing to earn Music Honors must maintain a 3.5 overall GPA and a 3.5 GPA in music courses. In addition to the requirements set for the major, students seeking Honors need to:
- Contact the LSA Music Advisor to apply for the program by the first term of their junior year and no later than the end of the second term of their junior year. As part of the application process students are responsible for finding a Faculty Thesis Advisor, who should be a member of the SMTD faculty and should be willing to sponsor an Independent Study with that student. An SMTD Independent Study Proposal form should be submitted to the LSA Music Advisor along with the Music Honors Application form.
- Complete two additional music courses in private instruction or at the 300-level or above in the student’s primary area of interest.
- Complete a Faculty Thesis Advisor-sponsored Independent Study in the student’s primary area of interest with a focus on producing a final Honors Thesis Project. The previously submitted Independent Study Proposal form may be updated or modified at this time. Honors Thesis Projects may include, but are not limited to:
- Instrumental or Vocal recital
- Lecture recital with program notes
- Original composition
- Digital music project
- Presentation or lecture
- Research paper