Home

I am a socio-cultural anthropologist with a STS focus and regional expertise in the US, Mexico, Bolivia, and Chile. I study gender, colonial, and class inequalities in transnational scientific communities.

Chilean students protest against the privatization of higher education. Santiago, Chile. May 2019. (Photo: M. Leighton)

An overview of my research projects is here, and more detailed information about each project is available in the links to the right.

In August 2017 I joined the University of Michigan Anthropology Department as a postdoctoral researcher, working with Elizabeth F.S. RobertsĀ on theĀ Mexican Exposures project.

I completed my doctoral studies in the Department of Anthropology at the University of Chicago in 2014. Originally from the UK, I have a BA in Archaeology from the University of Cambridge, where I specialized in European prehistory and archaeological science.

Between 2014-7 I held non-academic positions at the University of Illinois, Chicago and Northwestern University that gave me a broader understanding of universities as institutions, and the challenges facing non-traditional college students as they navigate their education. At UIC I was project manager and researcher for an initiative that brought together Chicago-area 4- and 6- year colleges, Chicago Public Schools, and various NGOs to improve the college retention and graduation rate of low income, first-generation students. At Northwestern I taught students how to carry out independent research and write grant applications, as the Assistant Director of The Office of Undergraduate Research.