Article Published in Journal of Politics

My article with Philip Leifeld, “Contributions by Interest Groups to Lobbying Coalitions”, has been published online in the Journal of Politics.  Read it here:

Remembering February 15, 2003

The Huffington Post ran a story remembering the antiwar protests of February 15, 2003. It featured my work with Fabio Rojas on this topic.

How protests can affect elections

I was quoted yesterday in The Economist’s blog post about the Women’s March titled “How protests can affect elections: America is seeing a new era of female political activism.”  See:

Protests during the Presidency of Donald Trump

Please check out “Protests during the Presidency of Donald Trump”, which is forthcoming in the Winter 2018 issue of Contexts.  Read here:

The New Wave of the Women’s Movement in the United States

Please check out my new essay at Mobilizing Ideas titled “The New Wave of the Women’s Movement in the United States.” See:

The New Wave of the Women’s Movement in the United States

Quoted in the StarNews (Wilmington, NC)

I was quoted in this article in the StarNews (Wilmington, NC) on :Wilmington women demand to be heard at 2nd annual march.”

Quoted in USA Today

I was quoted in this article on “It’s taken a year for inauguration protesters to get answers, dozens still face charges” in USA Today.

Quoted in CQ Researcher Article on Protests

Check out the latest issue of CQ Researcher. It has an extensive article on protests, which includes quotations from Dana Fisher, David S. Meyer, Fabio Rojas, Doug McAdam, myself, and lots of other excellent people. Read it here:

The Activists reviewed at Library Journal

The Activists was reviewed in the December 2017 issue of the Library Journal. Read the review here:

Quoted in Communications Daily on Net Neutrality

Thanks to Howard Buskirk at Communications Daily for quoting me in his lead story today on “Net Neutrality Backlash Seen Raising Troubling Issues for FCC”. I am quoted as follows:

Throughout its history the FCC has had to make controversial decisions, said Michael Heaney, University of Michigan assistant professor-organizational studies and political science. But the reaction to the net neutrality vote is part of a larger reaction against what some on the left see as a “consistent and strong tilt toward large corporations,” he said. “That’s a big part of what’s going on here. It’s not just that people are upset about this specific policy, but rather that this policy is an exemplar of what people see as a broader problem in society.”

Some said changing net neutrality rules won’t mean any change for consumers, Heaney said. “That to me seems like a pure lie.” But he also said no one knows for sure how the decision will change the market. “This decision could turn out to be a great decision. This decision could turn out to be a terrible decision,” he said. “We don’t know what’s going to happen.”

The full story is available here:

And here is another article in Communications Daily on the same subject that I was quoted in in December 2017: