Welcome

Michael Lerner - Headshot2 - January 2017I am a Dow Sustainability Fellow and Ph.D. student in the Political Science department and the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy at the University of Michigan. My research focuses on topics in comparative environmental politics, with a broad interest in questions related to adaptation to environmental change, the responsiveness of government, and disaster recovery and prevention.

My current work centers on uncovering the influence of international environmental nongovernmental organizations on persistent patterns in the cross-national diffusion of innovations in environmental policy, with the aim of understanding where and when these organizations affect the timing and content of changes in environmental governance.

Before coming to the University of Michigan, I was a research associate at the Environmental Law Institute in Washington DC. I received my B.A. from the University of Michigan in Political Science and French with a minor in Earth and Environmental Studies.