Welcome

Michael Lerner - Headshot2 - January 2017I am a Ph.D. candidate in the Political Science department and the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy at the University of Michigan. My research focuses on topics in comparative environmental politics, with a broad interest in questions related to challenges and strategies for adopting timely and ambitious policy responses to environmental change.

My dissertation examines the causes of government leadership in the development of environmental policy innovations. Through this project, I aim to understand the circumstances under which policymaker interaction and transnational advocacy efforts systematically lead to increases in the capacity and political will of national governments to act as leaders in addressing environmental problems.

Before coming to the University of Michigan, I worked as a research associate at the Environmental Law Institute in Washington DC. I received my B.A. from the University of Michigan in Political Science and French with a minor in Earth and Environmental Studies.