The application for the 2020 MMSS Program is now open.There is no firm deadline for the application, as MMSS has rolling admissions. We encourage students to submit their materials as soon as possible, as many of our courses do fill up quickly!
Applications WILL NOT BE REVIEWED until we receive ALL of the following items:
- Online Registration & Application Form: You must create a University of Michigan Friend Account in the process.
- Letter of Recommendation: Upon application submission, a request for letter is sent to Recommender (email address required). Be sure your teacher knows you applied.
- Student Personal Statement: Submitted via electronic application.
- High School Transcript: Upload a scanned transcript directly to MMSS application (e-mail, fax, or airmail if necessary)
- $100 Application Fee: APPLICATION FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
Step-By-Step Application Process
1. Create a University of Michigan Friend Account using a valid email address.
- Please use STUDENT email addresses, as there will be opportunity to provide parent email.
- Be sure to RECORD YOUR LOGIN AND PASSWORD information, as this account will be used to access all MMSS information for both the application and admissions process. The MMSS office will NOT be able to retrieve lost passwords for you. If you forgot your University of Michigan Friend Account password, contact University of Michigan Friend Account to reset your password.
2. Once you have successfully created a University of Michigan Friend Account, create an MMSS application.
3. Click on the “Registration” tab and fill out the information fields. Required field are starred (**). You will receive a confirmation email once you have successfully completed this step.
4. Continue on to the “Application” tab and fill out the information fields. Please select the session(s) you would like to attend, and optional services you would like to purchase. Required field are starred (**). Please note the following:
- If you want to attend multiple sessions, please check the “multiple sessions” box, along with the boxes corresponding to each of the sessions you wish to attend.
- If you would like to attend only one session, but do not have a preference as to which session, please check the “any session” box, along with the boxes corresponding to each of the sessions you are able to attend.
5. In the courses section under the application tab, under each session that you selected in the previous step, rank each course you are interested in attending, in order of preference, with 1 being your top choice. Please note the following when ranking courses:
- When determining course preferences, please review the course listings, faculty bios, and pictures from the 2019 Daily Camper
- Please only rank courses you are interested in attending, and rank all courses you are interested in attending. Once you submit your application, you will not be able to add or remove courses to your ranking. While the MMSS program will make every attempt to honor the student’s top course preference, this is a competitive program receiving twice as many applicants as available positions each year. Therefore, we cannot guarantee acceptance to your top choice.
6. Next, complete the applicant school history, student personal statement, and letter of recommendation sections under the application tab. Required field are red. Please note the following:
- Student personal statement must be at least 100 characters. If it is not, you will not be able to submit your application. The personal statement should give a brief educational and extracurricular background for the student, as well as explain the student’s interest in the MMSS program in general, and their specific course interest(s).
- There is nothing you need to submit in the transcript section of the application tab. Your transcript can be uploaded by clicking on the transcript upload button, which will appear at the top of the screen once you save or submit your application. An unofficial transcript or grade report is acceptable. Only your most recent one is required. Others will be accepted, but are not required.
- If interested in requesting Financial Aid, please complete the Financial Support section by checking the box and then providing a brief explanation of why you are in need of aid. You must also upload the first page only of your family’s most recent tax return (please black-out Social Security numbers) by clicking on the tax return upload button, which will appear at the top of the screen once you save or submit your application.
- Please make sure your recommending teacher’s email address is spelled correctly, as teachers will receive a request via email to submit their letter. Be sure your teacher knows you applied and please follow up with your teacher to make sure they received an email from us!
- DO NOT CLICK ‘SUBMIT’ UNTIL ALL SECTIONS OF YOUR APPLICATION ARE COMPLETE. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MAKE CHANGES TO YOUR APPLICATION ONCE YOU SUBMIT IT!
7. You may save your application to revise at a later date if necessary, however, be sure to select “Submit” when complete! Selecting “Submit” will send an electronic confirmation of application, as well as an electronic request for a letter of recommendation to your teacher via email. Once you submit your application, you can no longer make changes, so please be sure you are done before selecting “Submit”!
8. Once you submit your application, a new tab labeled “Paying” will appear. Under the paying tab, click the “Pay By Credit Card” button. On the next page, make sure the “Amount Due” is $100, and then click “Confirm”. You will be taken to the secure Nelnet page. Please make sure the green box next to “I agree to pay the amount listed with my credit card” is checked, and that the total amount is $100, then click continue. Enter all required information, indicated by *, and click “Continue”. On the next page, review the information and, if it is correct, click “Confirm” at the bottom of the page. You will be redirected back to your application. Please note the following regarding payment of the application fee:
- We can only accept credit cards electronically, via the secure portal on the student application. We cannot accept credit cards over the phone or in person.
- For international students needing to pay by wire transfer, please contact the MMSS office directly.
- To submit via check or money order, please mail to the address at the bottom of this page (with student identification information).
9. Once you have submitted the online application and your application fee, you have completed your part of the application process. However, please note that your application will not be considered “complete”, and will not be reviewed until we receive the letter of recommendation from your teacher. Please check with your teacher to make sure they know you have applied, and they have received an email from us!
10. To track the progress of your application, please log back into the application and view the progress window in the upper right hand side of your screen. Once all items have been received (application, application fee, and letter of recommendation,) your application will be marked as “under review”. All application decisions will be communicated via the email address associated with the student’s MMSS account.
PLEASE NOTE: WE RECEIVE A VERY HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS, AND THE REVIEW PROCESS CAN TAKE UP TO 6 WEEKS FROM THE TIME WE RECEIVE ALL OF YOUR MATERIALS. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE MMSS OFFICE TO CHECK THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION UNLESS MORE THAN 6 WEEKS HAVE PASSED SINCE IT WAS MOVED TO REVIEW!
Unable to submit the application online?
If you are unable to utilize the online application, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at 734-647-4466.
E-mail/mail/fax your relevant hard copy application materials to:
Michigan Math and Science Scholars
University of Michigan
2074 East Hall
530 Church Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1043