The costs below reflect the cost for a single session. Students may elect to attend one, two or three two-week sessions of MMSS. A single course is elected for each session. Class will run Monday – Friday from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm with break for lunch from 12-1:30pm. For application requirements, click here.
Session 1: Sunday, June 23 – Friday, July 5
Session 2: Sunday, July 7 – Friday, July 19
Session 3: Sunday, July 21 – Friday, August 2
ALL FEES ARE TO BE PAID VIA “PAYING” TAB OF STUDENT PORTAL
|*Application Fee||$100 (non-refundable and required for admission consideration)|
|Tuition||$1,300 (includes 9 day lunch pass for commuters)|
|Residential Stay||$850 (includes lodging and meals)|
*Application fee is only charged once, and is not applied towards tuition nor housing.
Tuition fees for all students include:
- Two-week educational program at the University of Michigan
- Course supplies
- Ph.D. faculty taught courses
- Hands-on applications of education into real-life scenarios
- Daily lunch pass
Housing fees for residential students also include:
- Two-week stay on U of M campus in downtown Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily (breakfast only on the last Friday
- Access to game rooms, lounges, laundry facilities, and outdoor facilities (tennis/basketball courts, track etc.)
- Athletic and recreational equipment
- Community bathrooms designated by gender
Students will be given the option to attend organized weekend events. This year, MMSS has organized a trip to Cedar Point Amusement Park on Saturday, and a combined trip to the Michigan Science Center and the Detroit Institute of Arts on Sunday.* Other optional fees associated with the program include a round-trip or one-way airport pickup/return service for students traveling to Michigan and an extra night stay in the dormitory. All purchases should be made through the online guest account or via mailed check. For more information about these services, please review the student information packet, after admission.
|Cedar Point Trip (Saturday)||$65|
|MSC/DIA Trip (Sunday)||$40|
|Round-Trip Airport Transportation||$50|
|One-Way Airport Transportation||$25|
|Extra Night in Dormitory*||$50 (per night)|
*Extra night fees do not apply to the interim weekend(s) for students attending multiple sessions
Additional Spending Money (potential cost examples):
- Optional weekday and weekend counselor-arranged local events (i.e. bowling, movies, etc)
- Souvenir shopping
- Snacks or any additional food (other than program-offered meals)
- Any possible forgotten toiletries
*Commuter students are encouraged to participate with their classmates in the optional organized weekend events to Cedar Point Amusement Park and the Michigan Science Center/Detroit Institute of Arts. All purchases can be made through the online guest account or via mailed check.
Students needing an early check-in and/or late check-out MUST enter their travel information on the student portal at least 3 weeks prior to their session start date. If travel information is entered later than that date and the student is in need of an early check-in, a late fee of $50 will be charged, in addition to the $50 extra-night fee.
Financial Aid Opportunities
Financial aid is limited and awarded on a need-basis. To be evaluated for financial assistance, the following will be necessary:
- A copy of the front page of parents’ or guardians’ most recent tax return WITH ALL SSNs BLACKENED OUT!
- Any additional documentation describing extenuating circumstances as additional justification
- International students requesting aid must submit a corresponding form with all currency converted to USD
Methods of Payment
Methods of payment to the Michigan Math and Science Scholars program can be made as follows:
- DO NOT SEND CASH!
- Check (checks payable to: “The University of Michigan” and include name of student on check)
- Money orders drawn on United States banks
- Credit card payments (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express all accepted)
- Note: to pay by credit card you must do so via the online application and use your UM Friend account login and password.
Those without a credit card or access to a US bank:
- Contact the MMSS office for specific wire transfer information if you are unable to access US-based bank or credit card.
- Once the transfer has been sent, please notify the program via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your e-mail, include the date and time of transaction, the sender’s full name, and the name of the student attending MMSS. This is necessary to give your student the proper credit.
MMSS Refund Policy
In the event that you have to withdraw from the MMSS program, the following refund policy applies.
|Before and up to May 1, 2019||50% refund of tuition and dormitory fees|
|May 1 up to June 1, 2019||25% refund of tuition and dormitory fees|
|June 1, 2019 and after||NO REFUND|
Due to fixed operating costs associated with the MMSS program, no refund or prorated tuition will be given to participants who leave the program early due to medical injury/illness, disciplinary action, family emergency, self-elected withdrawal, or other similar reasons.