Browse By

Hopwood Room

MQR has partnered with the University of Michigan’s Hopwood Awards Program to bring Hopwood Lectures and writing by and about past Hopwood Winners to our platforms. To browse our 2007 issue dedicated to Hopwood Winners, please visit our archives.

• Angel Island
    at the Angel Island Immigration Station our bodies levitated in minutes, ticking, ticking, alive, alive; forgo mercy and forgo hunger; slurp the pig slop; our muscles in 1911, 1912, we turned ghost and ghost again
  • Documenting the Bottom: A Review of Malcom Tariq’s “Heed the Hollow”
    Tariq’s Heed the Hollow is a humorous, erotic, and stunningly heartbreaking engagement with a language that has forcefully made queer black bodies and voices invisible.
  • Island; I-land: Eye-Land: Caliban on Sugar Island
    But golden eras—like edens—end. Even the magic of Prospero’s island, we assume, departs with him, for better or worse. For Sugar Island, much like Prospero’s, the beginning of the final days came with a shipwreck.
  • A Brick House for Books: Lillian Li on Writing with the Youth of the Neutral Zone
    Walking up to a large, colorful brick building with art pasted to the windows, I realized that I had always passed by the center without properly seeing it. I learned about the Neutral Zone’s youth-driven programs, including sound-mixing classes, poetry workshops, and a printing press called Red Beard, which I would come to know and love in the coming year.
  • Imagined Life
    My father doesn’t say, “Don’t tell.” He doesn’t say much at all. The way to end the silence he gave me was to write this sentence: “I’ll tell you what I suppose from your silences and few words, and you can tell me that I’m mistaken.”
  • Somatic Pinging: An Interview with Hannah Ensor
    “Movies work,” Hannah Ensor’s speaker posits, “because we’ve forgotten // that even when someone is an antagonist / we’re not supposed to be happy / when they die.”
  • “Obit,” by Victoria Chang
    After my mother died, I looked at a photo where she had moved into assisted living from the ER. Her oxygen tube in her nose, two small children standing on each side. Her hands around their hands pulled tightly to her chest, the chorus of knuckles still housed, white like stones, soon to be freed, soon to be splashing like horses.
  • To See More Clearly: A Review of Jacques Rancourt’s “In the Time of PrEP”
    Nodding to Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s Love in the Time of Cholera, Rancourt’s chapbook engages with the devastating effect of disease on love and on collective and personal memory.
  • The Version of Themselves They’ve Been Told: An Interview with Danielle Lazarin
    Being alone with our thoughts and feelings is an act of self-possession.
  • “The Way I Feel the World”: An Interview with Lawrence Joseph
    I was born into a Detroit that was the fourth largest city in the United States, one of America’s greatest and most important cities.