Bio

I am a Postdoctoral Assistant Professor at the Math Department, at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (UMICH). I am currently holding a double appointment also as a Postdoctoral Researcher at the Biomedical and Clinical Informatics Lab, Department of Computational Medicine and Bioinformatics at UMICH.

I received my Ph.D.from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) in May 2017 working under the supervision of Prof. Bruce Reznick.

My research is largely focused on high-order tensor analysis. More specifically, I am working on formulating a novel, mathematically sound theoretical framework to perform analysis of data structured as n-dimensional tensors while preserving the integrity of their structure — i.e. without slicing. My research interests also include real algebraic geometry, field theory and polynomials, semidefinite optimization, combinatorics and graph theory. I am also interested in techniques for symmetric tensor decomposition – also known as the Waring problem for forms, sum of squares optimization, Schubert calculus and graph matching.

Please feel free to get in touch with me at tokcan@umich.edu. You can also find additional ways to contact me in the Contact section.

Neriman Tokcan

Postdoctoral Assistant Professor Department of Mathematics
also with Dept. of Computational Medicine and Bioinformatics University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Selected Publications

Expected 2018

Tensor amplification and decomposition and their applications in biomedicine

N. Tokcan, H. Derksen , in preparation

A novel tensor similarity score for the classification of cardiac index

N. Tokcan, H. Derksen, G. Jonathan, L. Hernandez, K. Najarian, in preparation

Expected 2018

Low rank approximation of symmetric tensors over different fields

N. Tokcan, B. Reznick, in preparation

January 2017

Binary forms with three different relative ranks

B. Reznick and N. Tokcan, accepted for publication in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society

March 2017

On the Waring rank of binary forms

N. Tokcan, acctepted for publication in Linear Algebra and Its Applications

Newton Polytopes in Algebraic Combinatorics

C. Monical, N. Tokcan and A. Yong, available on arXiv

June 2017

WCET Derivation under Single Core Equivalence with Explicit Memory Budget Assignment

R. Mancuso, R. Pellizzoni, N. Tokcan and M. Caccamo, in In Proceedings of the 29th Euromicro Conference on Real-Time Systems (ECRTS 2017), Dubrovnik, Croatia. To Appear

Affiliations

Faculty 2017 – Present

Postdoctoral Assistant Professor in Mathematics, and Computational Medicine and Bioinformatics

University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Ph.D. 2012 – 2017

Ph.D. in Mathematics

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Department of Mathematics

M.S. 2011 – 2012

Master of Science in Mathematics

B.S. 2005 – 2009

Bachelor of Science in Mathematics

Cukurova University, Turkey

Honors, Awards and Certificates

2018 - Michigan Precision Health Scholars Award - 2 years, $80,000, UMICH

The University of Michigan’s Precision Health Scholar Award program grants up to $80,000 for one year per recipient with the potential for renewal. The awards program aims to expand the field of precision health by cultivating a cohort of promising early-career researchers in the field and spark new collaborative research avenues by engaging early-career investigators with tools and data to support their work.

2017 - Irving Reiner Memorial Award in Algebra, UIUC

The Irving Reiner Memorial Award was established in memory of Professor Irving Reiner by his family in 1988, with the support also of colleagues and friends. Professor Reiner, a long-time member of the University of Illinois Department of Mathematics, was a leader in the field of integral representation theory. The Reiner Prize is awarded each spring to one or more graduate students in recognition of outstanding scholastic achievement in the field of algebra.

Spring 2017 – Campus Research Board Award, UIUC

Fall 2016 – AMS Graduate Student Travel Grant to the Joint Mathematics Meetings

Fall 2016 – Nominated for Departmental TA Instructional Award, UIUC

2016 – Graduate Teaching Certificate, Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning, UIUC

Fall 2015 – Finalist for Departmental TA Instructional Award, UIUC

From 2014 - List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Students, UIUC

I was included in the List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Students in UIUC in the following terms: Fall 2014, Spring 2015, Summer 2015, Fall 2015, and Spring 2016. In Spring 2016 I was given outstanding rating

2011 - Council of Higher Education of Turkey Scholarship

It is a prestigious scholarship given by the Faculty Development of Higher Institution Program of Ankara Gazi University in Turkey. The acceptance is conditional on accepting a faculty position at the issuing institution.

2009 - Pres. - Republic of Turkey Ministry of National Education (MEB) Scholarship

This is a scholarship offered by the Turkey Ministry of National Education that provides financial support for pursuing graduate education in the United States. The completion of this program is followed by an offer of a faculty position in Turkey.

2009 - TUBITAK Scholarship

The TUBITAK (The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey) is a scholarship that provides support for graduate studies and research in Turkey

2009 – Top Student of the Faculty of Science and Letters Award – Cukurova University

2009 – Top Student of the Mathematics Department Award – Cukurova University

2006 – 2009 – Cukurova University High Honor Award