Home

dene_phoebeI’m a publicly engaged musicologist and cultural historian whose work recasts social perspectives of people marked by sexuality and gender, class, race, and migration. My focus is on popular and classical music of the twentieth century to the present, including Bernstein and the Copland-Thomson circle, 1970s disco, Morrissey, Radiohead, Springsteen, and postwar country including Dolly Parton, Gretchen Wilson, and David Allan Coe. I have written two award-winning books—The Queer Composition of America’s Sound (2004) and Rednecks, Queers, and Country Music (2014)—and many essays and articles. I co-edited (with Francesca T. Royster) the Journal of Popular Music Studies special issue Uncharted Country: New Voices and Perspectives in Country Music Studies (2020), and I’m writing a new book, Country Mexicans: Sounding Mexican American Life, Love, and Belonging in Country Music. I serve on editorial and advisory boards including those of the Journal of the American Musicological Society, Journal of Popular Music Studies, and Pop Conference, and my work has been featured in the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, The Guardian,The Nation, Salon, Times Literary Supplement, NPR, Pacifica Radio, BBC, WNYC, Swedish Radio, and other media outlets.

concert

photo: Phoebe Gloeckner

Professor of Women’s and Gender Studies and Music

Faculty Associate of the Department of American Culture

Director of the Lesbian-Gay-Queer Research Initiative (LGQRI) in Michigan’s Institute for Research on Women and Gender

Writing Country Mexicans: Sounding Mexican American Life, Love, and Belonging in Country Music

Author, Rednecks, Queers, and Country Music and The Queer Composition of America’s Sound

Nadine Hubbs on Academia.edu

Nadine Hubbs @ ORCID iD iconorcid.org/0000-0001-7212-9207

Audio:Queer Jolene” + Cajun songs performed by Nadine Hubbs with The Pittsfield Ramblers

“La Valse de 99 ans”

“Allons danser”

Video: Circles & Sensibilities Lecture-Concert, November 2013 collaboration with classical musicians based on The Queer Composition of America’s Sound.