Home

dene_phoebeI am a musicologist, gender-sexuality and class theorist, and cultural historian. My work has focused on American and British popular and classical music of the twentieth century to the present, including Bernstein and the Copland-Thomson circle, 1970s disco, Morrissey, Radiohead, Springsteen, and postwar country including Dolly Parton, Gretchen Wilson, and David Allan Coe. My writings examine how musical sounds and practices shape and are shaped by shifting practices of gender and sexuality, class, and race. I have written two books—The Queer Composition of America’s Sound (2004) and Rednecks, Queers, and Country Music (2014)—and many essays and articles. My work and public scholarship have been featured in the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, The Guardian, Salon, Slate, VICE, Christian Science Monitor, Times Literary Supplement, NPR, Pacifica Radio, BBC, WNYC, Swedish Radio, and other media outlets. My current book project is called Country Mexicans: Sounding Mexican American Life, Love, and Belonging in Country Music.

concert

photo: Phoebe Gloeckner

Professor of Women’s Studies and Music
Faculty Associate of the Department of American Culture

Director of the Lesbian-Gay-Queer Research Initiative (LGQRI) in Michigan’s Institute for Research on Women and Gender (IRWG)

Principal Investigator, Country Mexicans: Sounding Mexican American Life, Love, and Belonging in Country Music

Audio: Cajun songs performed by Nadine Hubbs with The Pittsfield Ramblers

“La Valse de 99 ans”

“Allons danser”

Video: Circles & Sensibilities Lecture-Concert, November 2013 collaboration with classical musicians based on The Queer Composition of America’s Sound.

Professor of Women’s Studies and Music

Author, Rednecks, Queers, and Country Music and The Queer Composition of America’s Sound

Nadine Hubbs on Academia.edu

Nadine Hubbs @ ORCID iD iconorcid.org/0000-0001-7212-9207