There are a lot of great resources out there for learning about and studying primates! Here are some other ideas to get started:
- Animal Conferences and Science: Information on conferences, community science, and job opportunities.
- Caribbean Primate Research Center: Home of the Cayo Santiago macaques, the world’s longest-running primate site.
- Duke Lemur Center: Research center focused on strepsirrhine primate behavior, biology, and conservation.
- Jane Goodall Institute: Information about chimpanzee behavior, research, and conservation.
- Leakey Foundation: Public events and grants related to human origins, including primatology.
- Lincoln Park Zoo Lester E. Fisher Center: Research, conservation, education focused on great apes.
- Living Links Research Centre: Research center linking the University of St Andrews and the Edinburgh Zoo.
- Pan-African Sanctuary Alliance: Network of primate welfare and conservation organizations in African range countries.
- Primate Info Net: A great resource for information about primates, primate-relevant job postings, and more.
- The Visible Ape Project: A digital collection of anatomical drawings, photographs, CT scans, MRIs and 3D reconstructions of apes.
- Duke Lemur Center Database: A publicly-available database of lemur life history data.
- Great Ape Dictionary: Video database of great ape behavior.
- Kibale Chimpanzee Project Data: A database of long-term chimpanzee behavioral data available upon request.
- ManyPrimates: Collaborative project linking primate cognition researchers.
- Primate Aging Database: A publicly-available database of primate health and aging.
Research Internships and Field Opportunities
- DANTA: Association for Conservation of the Tropics field school
- Duke Lemur Center: Research internships focused on lemurs
- Cayo Santiago Field Station: Internship & Research Assistantship Mailing List
- Field Projects International: Field school in the Peruvian Amazon
- NSF Research Experiences for Undergraduates: Various sites offering funding research internships
- Primate Rescue Center: Short term and long-term internships in primate welfare
- Psych Research List: General resources for graduate school applications and internships in psychology
- American Primatological Society Grants: Grants focused on primate research and conservation.
- Animal Behaviour Collective: Organization for micro-grants in animal behavior.
- International Primatological Society Grants: Grants focused on primate research, education, and conservation.
- Leakey Foundation Grants: Grants for research, scholarship, and training related to human origins.
- National Geographic Society Grants: grants focused primarily on field research.
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowships: Funding graduate fellowship [GRFP Tips]
- NSF Biological Anthropology Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grants: Support for dissertation research.
- Wenner-Gren Foundation: Grants for research, training and education in anthropology.
- African Primatological Society: Society and conference focused on primates in African range countries.
- American Association of Physical Anthropologists: Society and annual conference focused on biological anthropology.
- American Society of Primatologists: Society and annual conference focused on Indian primates.
- Association of Indian Primatologists: Society and conference focused on primates.
- International Primatological Society: International society and bi-annual conference focused on primates.
- Latin American Society of Primatologists: Society and conference focused on primates in the Americas.
- Primate Society of Great Britain: Society and bi-annual conference focused on primates.
- Scottish Primate Research Group: Association of primatologists based in Scotland.
Social Media Resources
- List of Primatologists on Twitter
- List of Departments and Universities studying primates on Twitter
- List of Research Groups, Labs, and Organizations focused on primates on Twitter
- List of Scientific Societies and Communities relevant to primatology on Twitter