LSA creative writing major Necko Fanning and the New York Times!

LSA creative writing major Necko Fanning recently attended conference for student veterans and met and networked with several New York Times reporters and one of its editors!  He says, “We were allowed to interview with the editor for a chance to pitch and they selected me. I just sent my pitch for a first-hand account of LGBTQ+ veterans in the army following the repeal of DADT. ”  Necko was a Military Intelligence Analyst in the U.S. Army from May 2011 until the end of 2014, and was a creative writing student at Chicago’s Loyola University before transferring to U-M. He’s been published in Diminuendo and BROAD magazine; self-published works can be read on his website and blog (www.neckofanning.com).Additionally, he is the Assistant Editor for BlakeWrites.com; an inclusive men’s blog. Necko was featured in a November 8th article in the Michigan Daily, “LGBTQ veterans speak on their experiences in the military.”  (Photo: Necko Fanning is the center of a group of Times reporters and an editor at a recent conference for student veterans.)