Summer 2021 • Wed, May 26 – Tues, Aug 3, 2021
Monday, Nov 23, 2020: Applications OPEN
Friday, Feb 12, 2021: Applications CLOSED
Monday, Feb 15, 2021: We will start reviewing applications for the 2021 program
We will post updates here at this site. Only students who receive offers will be contacted directly. The status of offers and acceptances will be shown here.
- Offers are made via e-mail only.
- Only the selected and accepted applicants will be announced in the space below.
- Because of the large number of applications we receive, we do not contact applicants who have not been accepted to the program.
- We use a rolling acceptance, and make offers to a greater number of students than we have spots for because many students have applied to multiple schools. Under no circumstance should you accept an offer from an REU program unless you are committed to that program. When you say ‘yes’ to a position in a professional setting, you should mean it.
- In general, you have a week or two to make up your mind. By all means, you should contact other programs to which you have applied with this offer, if you have decided there are programs whose offer you will take over ours.
The Domestic REU Program is not open to U-M undergraduate students.
REU programs are only open to US citizens or permanent (green card) residents.
Summer 2021 will be the 31th year of funding we have received from the NSF Research Experiences for Undergraduates Program. Throughout that time, we have especially welcomed applications from women and students from other populations underrepresented in the sciences.
University of Michigan REU in the Chemical Sciences
We generally receive about 250-350 applications for our program each year. You will receive an automatic notification when you submit your application, along with a file number to give your recommenders. If you do not hear from us, you may assume that your application is complete. We will contact individuals whose files are incomplete.
REU Projects: are available in all subject areas. Please see the Chemistry department website for general areas of faculty interest. You may assume that every member of the faculty is interested in hosting an REU student. See links at the top of this page, in the first paragraph.
In addition to a research project, there will be other activities, including field trips, meetings of all our summer students, weekly group meetings, and a poster session.
All REU Fellowships include: $4500 stipend, housing, and all travel. All students receive internet access through their existing home university/college e-mail account. You should ensure that you are covered by an appropriate health insurance policy in order to participate in a summer research program.