Home

Dr. Ruth M. McAdams

I am a Visiting Assistant Professor in the Humanities Program of the Department of Western Languages and Literatures at Boğaziçi University in İstanbul, Turkey. In August 2015, received my PhD from the Department of English Language and Literature at the University of Michigan, where I also held the Frederick Donald Sober Postdoctoral Fellowship. U-M has graciously continued to support this website during my transition to my new position.

My primary research field is nineteenth-century British literature, with broad generalist teaching interests, particularly in historiography and historical methods, life-writing, composition, Scottish literature, (transatlantic) print and material culture, critical theory, and the historical novel in a global context. At Boğaziçi University, I am teaching a Western Humanities survey–in English, to advanced but non-native speakers–that starts with the Epic of Gilgamesh and ends with Frantz Fanon, over the course of the academic year.

My research analyzes the historical consciousness of Victorian literature—its conception of the interplay of continuity and change, of the timeless and the timely—in order to reconsider how and why we study the nineteenth century in the twenty-first. In my book project, How the Victorians Invented the Regency: Historicizing the Recent Past, I argue that Victorian literary responses to the Napoleonic Wars and Regency period (1800-1820) generated striated, non-linear visions of history that contrast with the narratives of progress typically associated with the Victorians.

CV

Humanities Program

Department of Western Languages and Literatures

Boğaziçi University

34342 Bebek / İstanbul, Turkey

ruthmmcadams at gmail

on academia.edu