Anthologies

PortableIslandThe Portable Island: Cubans At Home in the World,
edited by Ruth Behar and Lucía M. Suárez. New York: Palgrave, 2008.

Cubans today are at home in diasporas that stretch from Miami to Mexico City to Moscow. On the island, watching as fellow Cubans leave, the impact of departure upon departure can be wrenching. How do Cubans confront their condition as an uprooted people? The Portable Island: Cubans at Home in the World offers a stunning chorus of responses, gathering some of the most daring Cuban writers, artists, and thinkers to address the haunting effect of globalization on their own lives.

Publisher’s page
Buy online

wwcWomen Writing Culture,
edited by Ruth Behar and Deborah Gordon. University of California Press, 1995.

Jennifer Nourse begins her article, “Conservative Realists and Experimental Writers,” in American Anthropologist (June, 1997) with the following remarks about Women Writing Culture: “I hate to sound jaded, but nowadays I rarely find an anthropology book that really thrills me, keeps me reading past my bedtime, and makes my head swim with renewed passion for my discipline and its practitioners. Women Writing Culture did that for me. It reminded me how important women’s contributions have been to anthropology and how women have been and continue to be at the cutting edge of the discipline.”

After a discussion of the book’s contents, Nourse concludes: “As a whole the book is brilliantly conceived and written. It provided a liberating release from the narrative shackles and dull rhetoric which plague so many ethnographies. Rarely are anthologies as evenly written and rarely do they meet their goal. Women Writing Culture provides the prototype for a new genre of feminist anthropology. It is truly revolutionary.”

Read the introduction to Women Writing Culture.

Publisher’s page
Buy online

bridcubaBridges to Cuba / Puentes a Cuba,
edited by Ruth Behar
University of Michigan Press, 1995.
Bridges to Cuba/Puentes a Cuba seeks reconciliation and a common culture and memory between Cubans on the island and Cubans of the diaspora.

This anthology of poetry, fiction, essays and drama has paved the way for more interchanges and has become a highly praised forum for the voices and visions of Cubans on the island and in the diaspora.

Read the introduction to Bridges to Cuba.
Publisher’s page
Buy online

Bridges to Cuba 20th Anniv Ed

Bridges to Cuba / Puentes a Cuba, 20th Anniversary Edition,
edited by Ruth Behar

A 20th anniversary edition, with a new introduction by Ruth Behar, celebrating an emerging era of restored relations between Cuba and the U.S.

Buy Online