About

I am a Ph.D. Candidate in the Departments of Political Science and Scientific Computing (Michigan Institute for Computational Discovery and Engineering), with a dual M.S. degree in Statistics, and a graduate student associate with the Center for Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies at the University of Michigan. I study international relations and quantitative methods with a secondary focus on comparative politics.

My research and teaching address a variety of topics related to political violence and its long-run effects on political economy and development, including the causes and consequences of civil and interstate wars, state repression, and terrorism, with a special emphasis on the broader Eurasian region. My dissertation studies combat motivation in authoritarian regimes. Specifically, I examine why ordinary civilians support an autocrat’s war-making efforts in the aftermath of repression and marginalization, and how wartime experiences affect repressed citizens’ post-conflict behavior. I develop a theory for how authoritarians repress in anticipation of international conflict, and I draw on large-scale individual historical datasets constructed from archival materials, machine learning algorithms for big data, qualitative and automated content analysis using computational methods, and mathematical and Bayesian modeling to test theory’s implications through an in-depth case study of the Russian Empire. I focus on World War I, the Russian Revolution, and subsequent civil war by tracing the trajectory of individuals from diverse ethnic and religious groups across space and time. My research has been published in the Journal of Peace Research. Drafts of my published and working papers can be found on my research page and google scholar. You can access my CV here.

My research has been supported by the Carnegie Foundation, Weiser Center for Emerging Democracies, and several centers at the University of Michigan. I was a 2016-2017 Marshall Weinberg Population, Development, and Climate Change Fellow at the Population Studies Center, 2015-2016 Emerging Democracy Fellow at the Weiser Center for Emerging Democracies, a 2016 Diversity and Diplomacy Fellow at the Humanity in Action, and a 2010 Black Sea Young Reformers Fellow of the German Marshall Fund and Robert Bosch Foundation.

I have enjoyed teaching both substantive and methodological courses at various levels at the University of Michigan. I have taught courses in international relations, comparative politics, quantitative methods, and computational programming, and served as a Math Camp instructor for the incoming cohort of Ph.D. students.

I hold an MPA (2014) degree from Harvard University and an MA in International Relations from Seton Hall University, John Whitehead School of Diplomacy. I received my BA in International Relations and European Studies from the Azerbaijan University of Foreign Languages.

Raised in the Caucasus mountains, I enjoy spending time in nature, traveling, exploring cultures, playing piano, and reading.