- Intergovernmental Cooperation and Tax Enforcement.
- Broadening the State: Policy Responses to the Introduction of the Income Tax, with T. Cassidy and M. Dincecco.
- Heard it through the Grapevine. Direct and Network Effects of a Tax Enforcement Field Experiment. with W. Boning, J. Guyton, R. Hodge and J. Slemrod.
- Social Capital, Government Expenditures, and Growth, with G. Ponzetto. Invited to revise, Journal of the European Economic Association
- Shaming Tax Delinquents: Evidence from a Field Experiment in the United States, with R. Perez-Truglia. Selected media coverage: New York Times, U.S. News, National Review, NPR (includes audio), WSB-TV Atlanta (includes video), Palm Beach Post, New Orleans Local News, Charlotte News, Atlanta News, VoxEu, Pew Charitable Trust, Z24 (in Dutch), CafeBiz (in Vietnamese). Invited to revise, Journal of Public Economics
Work coming soon
- Does Experiencing Violent Crime Matter for Social Capital and Political Behavior? (first version completed, available upon request)
- The Consequences of State Policy Ideology for Education and Inequality. (first version completed, available upon request)
- Labor Market Attitudes and Experienced Political Institutions. (first version completed, available upon request)
- Do Taxes Increase Economic Inequality? A Comparative Study Based on the State Personal Income Tax. (first version completed, available upon request)
- Old and Young Politicians, with A. Alesina and T. Cassidy. Covered by VoxEu, Business Spectator, Die Presse, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Veja. Economica, accepted
- What Happens When a Woman Wins an Election? Evidence from Close Races in Brazil, with F. Brollo. Journal of the Development Economics. Covered by Le Monde (in French), L’Espresso (in Italian).
- Do Fiscal Rules Matter?, with V. Grembi and T. Nannicini. American Economic Journal: Applied Economics
- Ghost-House Busters: The Electoral Response to a Large Anti Tax Evasion Program, with L. Casaburi. Media Coverage (L’Espresso) in Italian. Quarterly Journal of Economics
- Law Economics and Culture: Theory of Mandated Benefits and Evidence from Maternal Leave Policies (2012), Journal of Law and Economics, vol. 55(2), pages 339-364, with Y. Givati. Covered by U.S. News, KVInfo (in Danish).
- Social Capital and Political Accountability (2012), American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, vol. 5(2), pages 222-250, with T. Nannicini, A. Stella and G. Tabellini. Covered by Linkiesta( in Italian), Knowledge Bocconi.
Review of Peterson and Nadler, The Global Debt Crisis: Haunting U.S. and European Federalism (2014), Journal of Economic Literature, Vol. 52 No. 4