Guide to Voter Registration in Michigan

Am I eligible to register to vote?

In order to register to vote in Michigan, you must be:

• a U.S. citizen
  • at least 18 years old by Election Day
  • at least a 30-day resident, by Election Day, of the city/township in Michigan where you are applying to register

How and when can I register to vote?

By Mail

Mail your completed  Michigan Voter Registration Application to your city/township clerk. It may take a while for the clerk’s office to process your application, so send it in as early as possible. 

In Person

15 Days or More Before Election Day: 

Submit a completed Michigan Voter Registration Application, in person, to the city/township clerk where you applying to register. 

14 Days or Less Before Election Day: 

Submit a completed Michigan Voter Registration Application AND provide proof of residency, in person, to the city/township clerk where you applying to register.  The only ID/proof of residency that will qualify you to vote without having your ballot challenged are a Michigan driver’s license or a state-issued ID with your voting address on it. 

On Election Day:

Submit a completed Michigan Voter Registration Application AND provide proof of residency, in person, to the city/township clerk where you applying to register. You may vote by absentee ballot at that time, or you may vote in person at your polling site.

Online 

The Michigan legislature passed a bill to permit online registration, but it has not yet been implemented. When it is, it will permit online registration ONLY for those with a Michigan driver’s license or state-issued ID with your voting address on it. 

How do I vote absentee in Michigan?

By Mail

Your Michigan Absent Voter Ballot Application must be received by your city/township clerk no later than 5 pm on the Friday before Election Day. 

Some Michigan city/township clerks maintain a list of voters who want to be sent an absent voter ballot application prior to each election. This is commonly referred to as a ‘permanent absent voter’ list. If a city/township clerk offers this service, applications must be issued for each election. Any registered absent voter can be added to this list. Contact the local clerk where you want to vote to learn how you can be added to the list. 

In Person 

If you register to vote on Election Day by appearing in person to your clerk’s office, you can also obtain an absent voter ballot until 8 pm on that day. 

Which address should I use to register to vote? 

You can register to vote using your current campus address or your permanent address, depending on your preference. 

How can I find my polling location? 

For directions and a map to your polling place, visit www.Michigan.gov/vote.  Your polling location can also be found on the back of your voter registration card. You do not need your registration card in order to vote. 

How can I verify my voter registration?  

To verify your voter registration or to track the status of your absentee ballot, visit www.Michigan.gov/vote.  Be sure to check your registration before you vote to make sure that the information is correct.

Where do I vote?

For directions and a map to your polling place, visit michigan.gov/vote.  Your polling location can also be found on the back of your voter registration card. You do not need your registration card in order to vote.

When is it necessary to re-register to vote?

You need to re-register if you move, change your name, wish to change political party affiliations or if your signature has changed.

If I sign up to vote, will I get called for jury duty?

The court draws names from many sources, including the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). A licensed driver is more likely to be called for jury duty than a registered voter.

Where can I obtain more information about voter registration, voting and elections?

Additional information can be accessed at the following web sites:

How can I get involved with U of M’s non-partisan voter registration drive?

If you have any questions about getting involved with U of M voter registration or Turn Up Turnout, contact us at TUTuofm@gmail.com.