Sleep-wake regulation and circadian rhythms
- Hannay, K.M., Booth, V. and Forger, D.B. Macroscopic Models for Human Circadian Rhythms. J Biol Rhythms, 34(6):658-671, 2019.
- Hannay, K.M., Forger, D.B. and Booth, V. Macroscopic models for networks of coupled biological oscillators. Science Advances, 4(8): e1701047, 2018.
- Booth, V., Xique, I.J. and Diniz Behn, C.G. One-dimensional map for the circadian modulation of sleep in a sleep-wake regulatory network model for human sleep. SIAM J Appl Dyn Sys,16:1089-1112, 2017.45.
- Hannay, K.M., Booth, V. and Forger, D.B. Collective phase response curves for heterogeneous coupled oscillators,Phys Rev E, 92:022923, 2015.40.
- Dunmyre, J. Mashour, G.A., Booth, V. Coupled flip-flop model for REM sleep regulation in the rat, PLoS One, 9(4): e94481, 2014.
- Booth, V. and Diniz Behn, C. G. Physiologically-based modeling of sleep-wake regulatory networks, Math Biosciences, 250:54-68, 2014.
- Gleit, R.D., Diniz Behn, C.G. and Booth, V. Modeling interindividual differences in spontaneous internal desynchronization. J Biol Rhythms, 28(5):339-355, 2013.
- Diniz Behn, C., Anathasubramaniam, A. and Booth, V. Contrasting existence and robustness of REM/non-REM cycling in physiologically-based models of REM sleep regulatory networks. SIAM J Appl Dyn Sys, 12:279-314, 2013.
- Diniz Behn, C. and Booth, V. Fast-slow analysis of REM sleep dynamics. SIAM J Appl Dyn Sys 11:212-242, 2012.
- Diniz Behn, C. and Booth, V. Modeling the temporal architecture of rat sleep-wake behavior. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2011:4713-4716, 2011 (peer-reviewed conference paper).
- Fleshner, M., Booth, V., Forger, D. and Diniz Behn, C. Multiple signals from the suprachiasmatic nucleus are required for circadian regulation of sleep-wake behavior in the nocturnal rat. Phil Trans R Soc A, 369:3855-3883, 2011.
- Diniz Behn, C. and Booth, V. Simulating microinjection experiments in a novel model of the rat sleep-wake regulatory network. J Neurophysiol 103: 1937-1953, 2010.
Acetylcholine modulation of network firing and rhythms
- Lu, Y., Sarter, M., Zochowski, M. and Booth, V. Phasic cholinergic signaling promotes emergence of local gamma rhythms in excitatory-inhibitory networks. Eur J Neurosci, https://doi.org/10.1111/ejn.14744, 2020.
- Roach, J. P., Eniwaye, B., Booth, V., Sander, L. M. and Zochowski, M. R. Acetylcholine mediates dynamic switching between information coding schemes in neuronal networks. Frontiers in Systems Neurosci 13:64, 2019.
- Fink, C.G., Murphy, G.G., Booth, V. and Zochowski, M. A dynamical role for acetylcholine in synaptic renormalization. PLOS Comput Biol, 9(3): e1002939, 2013.
Circadian rhythm of pain sensitivity
- Crodelle, J., Piltz, S.H., Hagenauer, M.H. and Booth, V. Modeling the daily rhythm of human pain processing in the dorsal horn. PLoS Comput Biol 15(7): e1007106, 2019.
- Hagenauer, M.H., Crodelle, J., Piltz, S., Toporikova, N., Ferguson, P. and Booth, V. The modulation of pain by circadian and sleep-dependent processes: A review of the experimental evidence. In: Women in Mathematical Biology, Anita T. Layton and Laura A. Miller, eds. Association for Women in Mathematics Series, Springer, 2017.
- Toporikova, N., Hagenauer, M.H., Ferguson, P. and Booth, V. A two-process model for circadian and sleep-dependent modulation of pain sensitivity. In: Women in Mathematical Biology, Anita T. Layton and Laura A. Miller, eds. Association for Women in Mathematics Series, Springer, 2017.
- Crodelle, J., Piltz, S., Booth, V. and Hagenauer, M.H. Investigating circadian rhythmicity in pain sensitivity using a neural circuit model for spinal cord processing of pain. In: Women in Mathematical Biology, Anita T. Layton and Laura A. Miller, eds. Association for Women in Mathematics Series, Springer, 2017.
- Wu, J., Aton, S. J., Booth, V. and Zochowski, M. Network and cellular mechanisms underlying heterogeneous excitatory/inhibitory balanced states, Eur J Neurosci, 51(7):1624-1641, 2020.
Neuromodulation of neural network dynamics
- Rich, S., Zochowski, M. and Booth, V. Effects of neuromodulation on excitatory-inhibitory neural network dynamics depends on network connectivity structure. J Nonlin Sci, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00332-017-9438-6, 2018.
- Rich, S., Zochowski, M. and Booth, V. Dichotomous dynamics in E-I networks with strongly and weakly intra-connected inhibitory neurons. Frontiers in Neural Circuits, 11:104, 2017.
- Mirzakhalili,E.,Gourgou,E., Booth, V. and Epureanu, B. Synaptic impairment and robustness of excitatory neuronal networks with different topologies. Frontiers in Neural Circuits, 11:38, 2017.
- Knudstrup, S., Zochowski, M. and Booth, V. Network burst dynamics under heterogeneous cholinergic modulation of neural firing properties and heterogeneous synaptic connectivity, Eur J Neurosci, 43:1321-1339, 2016.42.
- Mofakham, S., Fink,C.G., Booth,V.and Zochowski, M.R. Interplay between excitability type and distributions of neuronal connectivity determines neuronal network synchronization. Phys Rev E, 94:042427, 2016.43.
- Rich, S. Booth, V. and Zochowski, M. Intrinsic cellular properties and connectivity density determine variable clustering patterns in randomly connected inhibitory neural networks. Frontiers in Neural Circuits, 10:82, 2016.44.
- Knudstrup, S., Zochowski, M. and Booth, V. Synaptic loss and synaptic plasticity in heterogeneous neural networks. J Complex Networks, 4 (1): 115-126, 2016.41.
- Leone, M.J., Schurter, B.N., Letson, B., Booth, V., Zochowski, M. and Fink, C.G. Synchronization properties of heterogeneous neuronal networks with mixed excitability type, Phys Rev E, 91(3-1):032813, 2015.39.
- Fink, C., Booth, V., and Zochowski, M. Cellularly-driven differences in network synchronization capacity are differentially modulated by firing frequency. PLOS Comput Biol, 7(5):e1002062, 2011.
- Bogaard, A., Parent, J., Zochowski, M. and Booth, V. Interaction of cellular and network mechanisms in spatiotemporal pattern formation in neuronal networks. J Neurosci 29:1677-1687, 2009.